Mint 19.2 MATE on Compaq PC

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
Thanks to the help of atanere and many other friends here on the forum I was finally able to download and boot into Linux MATE on my compact PC. This is an old PC that I’m trying to revive. Right now I don’t have Wi-Fi access so I’m just playing with it until I can get a dongle.

My question is this, I thought I’d put some pictures photos on here and see what I could do with them but I don’t know how to Load them. I inserted a CD into the disK drive with the photos on it but nothing is showing and I’m stuck. Can anyone please help me?

Did it put a new icon on your desktop that looks like a CD? If so, you can probably double-click it to open it and browse through your photos. Another way, maybe, is an icon in the lower left panel that looks like a filing cabinet.... that is the File Manager. Click it once (not double-click) to open it, and then you should see the CD-ROM listed on the left. You may have to scroll down to see it.

Something to note right away.... nothing you do while running on USB will be saved. So if you use a family photo to make a desktop background, it will be gone next time you boot on the USB. When you install Linux to the hard drive, then it will remember these things.

Thanks, that’s good to know. About anything not being saved. I’m not seeing the file manager yet although I did see it a few minutes ago so I’m sure I have it somewhere, I’ll try that. Also am I going to need some malware or virus protection?

Also am I going to need some malware or virus protection?
No. Welcome to Linux! :D

In the process of burning your USB last night, that "persistence" step we skipped would have let you save things. But it saved time (quite a bit, actually) to skip that, and the idea is to install to the hard drive soon anyway. You know, if you want, you could go ahead and install now... up to you. If Mint doesn't fully work as you want, we can help you to replace it later. You sometimes want to try several Linux distros to see what feels best to you. But Mint is a great starter or full-time system, for newbies or experts.

Also am I going to need some malware or virus protection?
When you install to your hard drive, try to help remind us to have you turn on your firewall. You don't really need that until you get the internet anyway. The firewall is enough basic protection for most users.

I thought that was the case with Linux! Happy days are here again!

I was also thinking I might just just go ahead and install Linux now and get it over with because I’m pretty sure I’m gonna like this and like you say I can always change it later if I want to. So I will go ahead and install it.

I found a CD ROM in file manager but it’s not showing anything in the folder. Is there a way to get to the CD ROM drive itself?Or is that what I just tried to do?

also, I’m sending a screenshot of some documents in the file system that are not able to open. They look like they’re not necessary and I’m wondering if I can just delete those.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 480
I would love to, but I’m not sure I can go I can get it all done. My desktop is in the bedroom and the Internet the ethernet connection Is in the living room. I’m kind of a decrepit old granny and I’m not sure I’ve got the wherewithal to move one thing into the other room. But that is an idea. I may call on my daughter after work and see if she’ll come help me.

Oh question. I have a Wi-Fi extender that I can plug into just any electrical outlet. Could I plug an ethernet cable into that? Is that possible?

Boy, do I have questions! LOL when I open the control center anything I click on, double click, or right click, does not open up. For instance, I went to Look and Feel and I went to Appearance I clicked on it, I double clicked on it I right clicked on it where I got the option to add it to the start menu or to start appearance and nothing happened.

Oops, back to your File Manager and your CD.... it does show up. Look under Devices, it is named "126559". Click on that, and then your files (or folders) should show up on the right.

You should see the icon on your desktop too... labeled 126559.

Boy, do I have questions! LOL when I open the control center anything I click on, double click, or right click, does not open up. For instance, I went to Look and Feel and I went to Appearance I clicked on it, I double clicked on it I right clicked on it where I got the option to add it to the start menu or to start appearance and nothing happened.
Don't go too fast. Running on USB makes a slight delay. Everything you want to access, try single-click first, and give a pause.... then double-click. Every Linux is different on how to handle these things, so you just need to learn the one you use.

They look like they’re not necessary and I’m wondering if I can just delete those.
How would you know what is necessary? Don't take chances.... don't delete anything you didn't put on yourself. Not until you learn a lot more! :eek::D

I think you’re right about this being I CD versus DVD problem. Here is a screenshot of what I got when I reentered the picture disc.

And thanks for the info about taking my time. I wasn’t even thinking about that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 469
How would you know what is necessary? Don't take chances.... don't delete anything you didn't put on yourself. Not until you learn a lot more! :eek::D
Great question! Why would I? That’s what got me in trouble before, didn’t it? You are a great teacher!

I think you’re right about this being I CD versus DVD problem.
That's a bit odd... it knows the ISO9660 file system. That's standard CD/DVD stuff. Oh well, not to worry for now really.

If you want to install... I have the same system running "live" right now too, and I can follow step by step through the process. Feeling lucky, Granny? :p

Sure!

I would love to, but I’m not sure I can go I can get it all done. My desktop is in the bedroom and the Internet the ethernet connection Is in the living room. I’m kind of a decrepit old granny and I’m not sure I’ve got the wherewithal to move one thing into the other room. But that is an idea. I may call on my daughter after work and see if she’ll come help me.
Unless moving into the living room is convenient than stick with a wireless dongle.

I'm out don't want to cause anymore confusion.

Let's go slow and easy, and we'll talk through each step here. No need for screenshots unless we get stuck, I hope.

1. Double-click the Install Linux Mint icon on the desktop.

Members online