Mint 19.1 xfce on Lenovo X220 laptop w/ dock

Eugor

Reaction score
Credits
Shot in the dark here to see if anyone has mint 19.1 xfce loaded on a X220 laptop with Ultrbase 3. I have a chance to get one on the cheap,( I like cheap ) and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this one. Especially with docking base with optical drive in it. If so, I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with it. Good and bad.
If not, I suppose I will have some tales to tell before long

Cheap works for me :)

I don't have the hardware, but I downloaded the iso the other day, will probably put it on this weekend.

Cheers

Wiz

It has 320GB hard drive ?

swap that out for a similar size SSD and you would have quite the machine .....if you need some room...make it a 500gb SSD

It has 320GB hard drive ?

swap that out for a similar size SSD and you would have quite the machine .....if you need some room...make it a 500gb SSD

It does indeed have the 320GB hdd with win 10 pro on it. I updated the bios to the 1.46 modified that removes the whitelist and allows the advanced bios menu settings while I had win 10 in it. ( I am in over my head in the deep water now !) I have pulled that drive and put a wd 250 ssd, and added 4GB ram for 8GB total in it and loaded mint 19.1 xfce. I really like this thinkpad. very portable. and seems rugged.
Wow, this is exciting fun. At least for me.

Ok, I am following this guide to install and initiate thinkfan. http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/ubuntu/
I am stuck at # 6 with some ignorance.

When I enter nano, that is where I am lost. Nano sounds small, but its big trouble in Tinkertown for me. There is no "Change START=no to START=yes"
There are 2 lines that make no sense (yet) to this old hillbilly.

# Additional startup parameters
DAEMON_ARGS="-q"

My goal is to initiate thinkfan at startup. How would I go about getting there from here ?
Thanks for any guidance or clues.

G'day Eugor, can you give us the full content of the file?

Code:
cat /etc/default/thinkfan

?

Wiz

owner@X220-4290W3X:~$ cat /etc/default/thinkfan

# Additional startup parameters

DAEMON_ARGS="-q"

owner@X220-4290W3X:~$

That Demon ARGS q is everywhere

Members online

Latest posts