Mint 18.3 crash with tiny squares for characters

neohkl

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there All:

Appreciate if any user can tell me solution.

System:
4.15.0-70-generic #79~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 14:01:10 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Memory: RAM 8G

Description:
Plse see captured attached screenShot.
Occurrence: Spontaneous, anytime after successful login and use.
TaskBAr disappears.
Can continue to use any opened browser.
Cant open Terminal to ShutDown.
Since no TAskbar, can't select SHUTDOWN.
Hard Shutdown required(Hit the Off Button.)

Trying to figure out if this is a Mint 18.3 bug, (and how to fix) or is My HW(which component?) dying.

Rgds

neohKL

G'day neohkl, and Welcome to linux.org

I also run 18.3...and have never seen that problem

How long have you been running 18.3 ?

Has this problem occurred since updating the kernal ?

how long have you encountered this error ?

Any info you can give, may provide the clue

G'day @neohkl and welcome likewise from another Aussie :)

In addition to what Brian has asked above:
  • Do you have a LInux LIve (install) USB stick or DVD for the Mint?
  • Have you used Timeshift, and if so, where is the snapshot/s stored?
Cheers

Wizard

Hi Guys:

Thks for response. Sorry 4 delay. I have been trouble-shooting.

Answers to your questions.

How long have you been running 18.3 ?

Ans: Apr 2016.... from the date of the first kernel shown in the Update Manager.
+++
Has this problem occurred since updating the kernel ?

Ans: It occurred once some kernels back. Suspecting "creep", I opened up my box then. Reseated/Pushed in the RAMs and any cable connectors that happen to catch my eye. The problem went away for a long time( many kernel updates, if that is a useful measure of time). Of course I tried the same trick this time around but it doesnt seem to be working.

It did not start happenning immediately after latest kernel update (4.15.0-72-generic). So I am inclined to rule out kernel bug, though I could be wrong.
Anyway I have since reverted to 4.15.0-70-generic as I have been encountering disk err msg and failure to boot.

.+++
how long have you encountered this error ?

Ans: 2-3 weeks. I have switched to using FireFox (from Chrome happens within an hour) and it takes longer to happen(days). I usually put my system in SUSpend after the day's use.
+++
  • Do you have a LInux LIve (install) USB stick or DVD for the Mint?
Ans: I am booting Mint 18.3 off an 240 SANDISK SSD plugged into a sata>>USB Dock and plugged into a USB3 port. The system is a old Win10 system which is on a 1 TB HDD which I left in place. The Mint is my work-Horse. I only occasionally boot into Win10 to keep it updated.
+++

Have you used Timeshift, and if so, where is the snapshot/s stored?

Ans: I have never used it though I got it installed. I was just trying it out. Does it need another Disk/Storage device to back up the "data". I proceeded no further as I do not have a spare drive at the moment.
+++
Any info you can give, may provide the clue
Ans:
description: Motherboard
product: P8H77-M
vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BIOS date: 02/24/2012

As u can see from the BIOS date
Could be just old age.... Deteriorating MB traces
As it takes time to happen I was suspecting "over-heating stress on Deteriorating MB traces. Unless someOne has a similar experience and managed to track it down to a non HW problem.

I just saw the err msg warning I am running low on disk space in root(?).
I will investigating solving that problem. (Done it b4 but I need to google how to again.) That could be the cause. (Low on Resources)

Any Insight appreciated.

BEst Rgds

neohkl