minecraft-launcher localisation issues

couscous

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone,
I have been having trying to install Minecraft on Linux since I switched my distribution over to FerenOS.

However, starting the launcher sees it load for a few seconds before crashing before the application shows up on my screen.

Looking through launcher_log.txt. I discovered that this was a localization issue. (Reinstalling did not fix the issue)
Code:
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549681039: localization.cpp(45)] No locale matching [.json] found.
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549695488: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to download <game>. Please try again later."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549705817: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to download the <game> Native Launcher."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549714336: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to update the <game> Game Launcher."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549722836: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to download the <game> Runtime Environment."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549730375: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to update the <game> Game Launcher."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549738725: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to update the <game> Runtime Environment."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549746034: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to update the <game> Native Launcher."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549754114: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to relaunch the Minecraft bootstrap."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549761763: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to start the <game> Runtime Environment. This is most likely caused by a corruption. Please try to reinstall <game>."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549771163: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to start <game>, if you are running from a dmg, please drag to Applications and try again."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549779882: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "Unable to initialize the network library."
[Error: 2021-03-26 22:36:02.549791191: localization.cpp(110)] No translation found for "<game> Launcher"
Full log available here

Pasting this log into my browser led me to this thread

However, running locale outputs:
Code:
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_AU
LC_CTYPE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

Showing that my localisation is configured unlike the poster of that thread.

What I concluded is that Minecraft does not support the AU local. So, I went to my system settings and changed my local to the UK.
Screenshot_20210327_092841.png

However, when running locale again. My locale is now a mix of UK and AU due to me setting it to AU on setup. (still giving the same minecraft-launcher error too)
Code:
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB
LC_CTYPE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

I figure that it would be a good idea now to ask the Linux community about whether changing my localisation will be able to fix this issue?

Personally, I think that the adjusting LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 might be able to fix my issue.
However, I am nervous that this might impair the function of other applications on my system. (An explanation of this would be appreciated)

Thanks for reading through everything.
Feel free to request for more logs or to ask questions about my system if that will help you!
(Also tips about formatting posts would be appreciated :))

Moved to the gaming sub-forum, as our few gamers may have experienced these issues and got beyond them.

I've seen Minecraft mentioned multiple times, so maybe they'll be able to help.

Moved to the gaming sub-forum, as our few gamers may have experienced these issues and got beyond them.

I've seen Minecraft mentioned multiple times, so maybe they'll be able to help.
Thank you!
Sorry for putting it inside the wrong sub-forum.

Sorry for putting it inside the wrong sub-forum.

It could have stayed in that one just fine, but in this section you may get more gamers paying attention. It wasn't wrong, really. This is just more specific. So, it's all good.

What do the following files on your system look like: /etc/locale.conf and /etc/locale.gen?

What do the following files on your system look like: /etc/locale.conf and /etc/locale.gen?
Hello, thanks for your reply.

The only instances of en_AU in locale.gen are at the very end in it's own section:
Code:
# Locales enabled by Calamares
# en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8

My locale.conf looks like this:
Code:
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_AU.UTF-8
Because the AU localisation is not supported directly by my OS, I am guessing that is why it is not working.

Would it be safe to change the information inside locale.conf to another local or is there anything else that I should be doing?

Thank you!

Try doing the following since Minecraft doesn't support AU locale, make sure everything is commented out except for en_US.UTF-8 and then run locale-gen. Then make a backup of /etc/locale.conf and replace all the en_AU.UTF-8's with en_US.UTF-8. Finally logout of your system en log back in and then try to launch Minecraft again and see what happens.

Good News!

I had a fun experience with a fatal system error that practically killed FerenOS. However, I decided to switch over to Manjaro KDE and now Minecraft is working just fine! The only issue now is the fact that I can not boot into Windows anymore but I will try my earnest to solve that issue on my own!

Thanks for your assistance and my apologies for the late reply!

Good News!

I had a fun experience with a fatal system error that practically killed FerenOS. However, I decided to switch over to Manjaro KDE and now Minecraft is working just fine! The only issue now is the fact that I can not boot into Windows anymore but I will try my earnest to solve that issue on my own!

Thanks for your assistance and my apologies for the late reply!
Hi just wondering if you ever solved this issue without switching over to Manjaro? This thread is the closest I've been able to find to a solution (I'm on ubuntu 22.04) and I'm having the exact same problem you had point for point. Same error logs, locale problems (although my locale is canada) and my locale was configured properly unlike that poster in the Arch thread. Any more information you have gained since you last posted would be appreciated!

Members online