Microsoft To Charge Monthly For Windows 10??? :3

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys!..... :3 So I heard about this rumor for a while now..... Is it true.....? :3 It would give me an excuse to ditch Windows, and try to get Call Of Duty and The Sims to both work on Linux..... :3

As Microsoft have stated that Windows 10 is the last Windows version, they can no longer make money by releasing new versions every few years and people buying them like in the heady days of Win95/98/ME. Back then people queued overnight for the next version because the existing one was so awful and they hoped for better. [There is a view that ME was actually worse than 98]. The users eventually did get something better in WinXP, but then Microsoft had the nightmare that most people kept using XP for years even after Win7 was released, as XP did everything they wanted it to, quite well. Microsoft never wants to repeat that experience.

The ideal answer for software companies is rental, just as Adobe have moved to with Photoshop. That way, there is no need for the exhausting and expensive work of constantly producing "must-have" new versions and coming up with new ideas, which have become harder to come by for the forseeable future. All they need to do is security updates and the occasional make-over, unless a serious competitor appears on the scene, which Microsoft do not have in their market.

However I don't think Microsoft will have the nerve to switch to rental explicitly. I speculate that they will at some point taper in two levels of support for the home (as well as enterprise) user : basic security update support which will be free (as they always have been), and a paid-for superior support which will have some real improvements and support newer file formats, new APIs etc. Anyone staying on the free support will find that more and more things quietly break as time goes on.

Anyone staying on the free support will find that more and more things quietly break as time goes on.
Most users don't have a clue and never will have a clue about what is happening with their computers until they are unable to connect on to their social media websites. :eek::confused::mad:

I have heard similar mumbling and rumors.
I think Microsoft is on the edge of learning there is a growing presence that has figured out how to get around the blockade they have enjoyed for many years.

I think the future is more or less "everything being on the cloud" and your computers acting like thin clients (a computer with an OS and not much else on it).

Since companies will be able to make banks off of "leasing out" licenses rather than releasing new versions every few years or so or charging a lump sum for "lifetime licenses".

As Microsoft have stated that Windows 10 is the last Windows version, they can no longer make money by releasing new versions every few years and people buying them like in the heady days of Win95/98/ME. Back then people queued overnight for the next version because the existing one was so awful and they hoped for better. [There is a view that ME was actually worse than 98]. The users eventually did get something better in WinXP, but then Microsoft had the nightmare that most people kept using XP for years even after Win7 was released, as XP did everything they wanted it to, quite well. Microsoft never wants to repeat that experience.

The ideal answer for software companies is rental, just as Adobe have moved to with Photoshop. That way, there is no need for the exhausting and expensive work of constantly producing "must-have" new versions and coming up with new ideas, which have become harder to come by for the forseeable future. All they need to do is security updates and the occasional make-over, unless a serious competitor appears on the scene, which Microsoft do not have in their market.

However I don't think Microsoft will have the nerve to switch to rental explicitly. I speculate that they will at some point taper in two levels of support for the home (as well as enterprise) user : basic security update support which will be free (as they always have been), and a paid-for superior support which will have some real improvements and support newer file formats, new APIs etc. Anyone staying on the free support will find that more and more things quietly break as time goes on.
What a well written response!..... :3 I hear from a fellow Linux-user that Windows may soon be based on Linux, instead of NT!..... :3 What strange times these are.....

Members online