Microsoft Still Thinks Linux is a Cancer.

They already paid for a computer with Windows. They're probably not going to want to pay someone to install Linux on it after that. Well, very few are going to want that.

The damnedest of people know about Linux. Like, during this entire pandemic thing I've had people ask me over and over to Skype. I always say I use Linux (even though I could Skype from Linux, I don't want to) and leave it at that. A surprising number of those people knew what Linux was.

Exactly none of them asked me for details or had any further questions about the operating system - but they did indicate that they knew what it was in one way or another. None of them asked what Linux was. These are people from CEOs to Fortune 500 companies to secretaries at my doctor's office.

So, I think a surprising number of people at least know Linux is an alternative operating system. They know it exists, they just don't give a crap and aren't actively seeking an alternative. A small, but vocal, minority is the ones making a racket with regards to what Microsoft is doing. Everyone else loves the new features and wish those people would just shut up or switch to Linux already.

They already paid for a computer with Windows. They're probably not going to want to pay someone to install Linux on it after that. Well, very few are going to want that.

The damnedest of people know about Linux. Like, during this entire pandemic thing I've had people ask me over and over to Skype. I always say I use Linux (even though I could Skype from Linux, I don't want to) and leave it at that. A surprising number of those people knew what Linux was.

Exactly none of them asked me for details or had any further questions about the operating system - but they did indicate that they knew what it was in one way or another. None of them asked what Linux was. These are people from CEOs to Fortune 500 companies to secretaries at my doctor's office.

So, I think a surprising number of people at least know Linux is an alternative operating system. They know it exists, they just don't give a crap and aren't actively seeking an alternative. A small, but vocal, minority is the ones making a racket with regards to what Microsoft is doing. Everyone else loves the new features and wish those people would just shut up or switch to Linux already.

you can already get small pc that have both.
1661393149642.png

i dont think thats the problem im sure you could make a DVD or some HDD setup that is Default for all Laptop that didnt take long to do or just give a free Disk with the Laptop wit linux on so people has the choice to do so if they want and thats what is most important.

you can already get small pc that have both.
View attachment 13385

i dont think thats the problem im sure you could make a DVD or some HDD setup that is Default for all Laptop that didnt take long to do or just give a free Disk with the Laptop wit linux on so people has the choice to do so if they want and thats what is most important.
i find those mini PCs attractive, yet they don't have many USB slots which can be a surprise pain...in terms of making linux more accessible, i think bug-free audio and video would at least avoid turning off the people who try it. Jammy jellyfish seems to have fixed the scratchy audio problem i was getting with my TV monitor only, yet sometimes my desktop still boots to a splotchy screen regardless of monitor.

The problem i had with the WIndows 10 computer i built was every once in a while it would get stuck at the BIOS screen. This indicates a RAM problem, so i changed out the RAM twice and it didn't go away, so the issue was probably the motherboard or CPU. Standard computer users don't want to have to deal with these problems which is why they don't build desktops. Computer manufacturers would rather build things that don't work after a couple years or have very limited functionality (like iPad...) than try to blow people's minds with absolute software and configuration freedom. Every story i've heard from someone who bought a chromebook was pretty terrible! If anyone is looking for a printer...my advice is stick with Brother or don't buy one. Every printer i've had with Canon and HP has been disappointing.

I do think seeing vendors that install linux on devices is pretty encouraging, are there a lot of these? Which one has the cheapest stuff?

Thoughts:

While i am still bothered by all this silly nonsense that windows is doing, i'm guessing that pirates will figure out ways to either create new versions of windows or turn off this security stuff within the new software.

I'll never buy another Laptop because I wont pay good money for an OS I don't want.
t2016.gif

I was in a store not long ago and apart from crapple (apple)...every Laptop was windwoes
t2104.gif
so much for freedom of choice.
m1520.gif

I'll never buy another Laptop because I wont pay good money for an OS I don't want.
t2016.gif

I was in a store not long ago and apart from crapple (apple)...every Laptop was windwoes
t2104.gif
so much for freedom of choice.
m1520.gif
Due to MS dictating to the PC market in the past several decades, the market has already responded to this.
Just as you said a while back:
The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers
No longer do you have to buy a lappie with an OS you don't want.
One example is Starlabs who make very nice lappies with secure Open source hardware and ...
with your choice of Linux OS!
I leave you to drool over these boxes...
starlabs.systems
ps I not a shareholder or employee, just advocate of some 20+ yrs :cool:

t2016.gif

What happens when your current laptop gets so old and worn out that you have to upgrade?

Buy a Dell, they will ship them to your doorstep, and with Ubuntu installed.

ps I not a shareholder or employee, just advocate of some 17 years :)

Wiz

Due to MS dictating to the PC market in the past several decades, the market has already responded to this.
Just as you said a while back:

No longer do you have to buy a lappie with an OS you don't want.
One example is Starlabs who make very nice lappies with secure Open source hardware and ...
with your choice of Linux OS!
I leave you to drool over these boxes...
starlabs.systems
ps I not a shareholder or employee, just advocate of some 20+ yrs :cool:

Very handy to know...thanks.
happy0006.gif

What happens when your current laptop gets so old and worn out that you have to upgrade?

I'm not a Laptop person...I use my Tower 99% of the time but it's handy to know there's an alternative to the evil empire.
happy0034.gif

Buy a Dell, they will ship them to your doorstep, and with Ubuntu installed.

ps I not a shareholder or employee, just advocate of some 17 years :)

Wiz

Also very handy to know...just in case.
happy0009.gif

Can anyone help me pick out a new computer I can actually install Linux on? My older computer is using Mint, but I am up to using something else if its easier to install.

I have bought a couple computers and returned them. I was unable to install Linux because of the problems you speak of here. I am looking for a complete installation.

Any help or advice appreciated!

Can anyone help me pick out a new computer I can actually install Linux on? My older computer is using Mint, but I am up to using something else if its easier to install.

I have bought a couple computers and returned them. I was unable to install Linux because of the problems you speak of here. I am looking for a complete installation.

Any help or advice appreciated!

(Disclaimer: NOT an Endorsement)

I do currently own a HP Pavilion laptop and everything works perfectly in Linux, although your mileage may heavily vary.

I plan to replace my laptop with a HP Dev One | Home Page laptop, once that my financial situation allows for it, ETA unknown due to many unresolved, complicating factors.

Nonetheless, this is very much due to personal preference, I like HP products and they have always proved to be very reliable and long-lasting for me.

There are other computer manufacturers besides HP that do sell computers with Linux pre-installed by default such as Dell, but this curated list of manufacturers may prove to be useful:

Linux Preloaded | A curated list of linux laptop and desktop vendors

I recently picked up an MSI and installed Linux with nary a problem. The one I chose had onboard Intel graphics, making it even easier.