Microsoft fonts into gimp

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi

i’m sure this has been dealt with over and over and over again

but i can’t find step by step instructions on how to do this
:frowning:

can someone point me to step by step instructions on installing microsoft fonts into gimp 2.10
(i even have the version of microsoft windows for the fonts i need if that changes the process)

one important question - is it better to install the microsoft fonts into LINUX or into gimp 2.10.......i'm an idiot, so i'll need the process which makes it idiot-proof (ie. if theres a problem that comes up i will not be able to fix it)

thx

Last year I would have advised installing Wine and Winetricks, and then giving the command:
winetricks corefonts

That installs many of the fonts used on Windows. However inside GIMP must add another folder to check for fonts:
/home/(user)/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts

Now I don't know if it works, even in Linux Mint or in Debian "stable" or anything based on it.

It will demand many megabytes of disk space that will have nothing to do with fonts. Also it will not give you all the fonts that were installed on Windows10, for example.

Another way, which could be a PITA, is to try to use the file manager to connect to the main Windows partition (C: drive) and navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts if all the fonts are still installed there. Then decide which folder on Linux you want to use, such as /home/(user)/.config/GIMP/2.10/fonts or something else of your choosing. You copy the fonts from the C: drive into the "GIMP" path. If the destination path you chose is different then start GIMP, open "Edit/Preferences", go to the last option on the left-hand side "Folders" and pick "Fonts" to add the new font path.

(user) above is your handle, what is used to log into your Linux regular account.

You didn't say what OS you use, but I know that it's easy to install Microsoft's True Type (at least some of them, I've never dug into how many) fonts in Ubuntu (and derivatives).

I'm not sure what other distros use, as I've never really dug into fonts. I just happen to know this because it's something that happens when you install the restricted extras and there's a licensing page. I assume this would make them available in GIMP.

Last edited:
Me, I do things the 'manual' way. If ya have the necessary M$ TTF font files, all that's needed to get 'em functional under GIMP is to stick 'em in /usr/share/fonts. GIMP does NOT require a special, specific location to find them in, despite what some would have you believe.

I p**s a LOT of people off on the various Linux fora I frequent, simply because I will NOT do things the accepted, tried-and-tested 'geek' way of using the damn terminal for everything. I'm afraid years of 'Puppy' usage will do that to you; we get things done far quicker by diving-into and physically rummaging-around in the file system.....a feat simplified under Puppy due to its running as root all the time.

And ROX-filer will let you set permissions, ownerships, etc., WAY faster than any set of terminal commands I've yet found..! Just ONE reason why I won't even look at any other file manager these days...

Over the course of many years, I've discovered trusted, secure sources for just about anything I could possibly want, or need. Sorry to say it, but installing all these ridiculous 'extras' packages & sending yourself cross-eyed searching through the repos for hours on end is a mug's game. And if that offends anybody here, well.....sorry, but it's your problem.

(shrug...)

@marbles :- Y'know, I'm convinced you have a tendency to 'sell yourself short'. Nobody can possibly be as stupid as you frequently make yourself out to be. Give yourself some credit, fer Chrissakes....

Mike. :p

Last edited:
OK I admit installing Wine wasn't a good move, that's why I said it would have been better proposing it last year, before there were issues with Winetricks and for a while Arch Linux didn't bother synchronizing with the Github version. Also one time in December-2022 that I installed Debian "Bullseye" and "winetricks corefonts" complaining that it wasn't supported "upstream" anymore...

I could have been more careless about my own safety and provided download links to the fonts I acquired from "winetricks corefonts", according to the operations done actually with "curl" or "wget". They're a bunch of EXE files that require "cabextract".

Also if the OP expects to use the same fonts on Linux that they did on Windows, without exception, it was the main reason why I proposed the other thing which would have been easier to consider. Except some Linux OS's don't like activating a "foreign" partition, or require the "root" user to do it or some other clunky way.

Me, I do things the 'manual' way. If ya have the necessary M$ TTF font files, all that's needed to get 'em functional under GIMP is to stick 'em in /usr/share/fonts. GIMP does NOT require a special, specific location to find them in, despite what some would have you believe.
This is your way of working but it's bad advice to whoever doesn't use Puppy Linux or EasyOS or another product like that. That's why GIMP recognizes at least two paths, the one you listed and the one inside the regular user's home directory. The user could do something about it if he/she doesn't like pressing CTRL+H in the file manager to see dot-file directories. It could be "/home/(user)/fonts", nothing more complicated than that.

@wendy-lebaron :-

Yes, you're right about the second $PATH, the one inside the 'home' directory. Puppy does have its equivalent there, too....but we so rarely use it, due to /root being our 'home' directory.

And of course, you're right in other ways, too. If I'm perfectly honest about it, then NO Puppy user is really in any position to advise users of "mainstream" distros on any matters pertaining to ownership, permissions, etc......because we simply don't bother with all that. And Puppy, in many ways, IS a bit of a "dog's dinner" in any case! :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I have MS Core Fonts installed and they are available in Gimp.

I'm running Debian testing.

--glenn

No problem, I can help you with that! Installing Microsoft fonts for use in GIMP 2.10 can be done on either Windows or Linux. I'll provide you with step-by-step instructions for both scenarios.

Before we begin, it's worth noting that the process may slightly differ depending on your operating system version and GIMP installation method. However, the general steps should remain the same.

Installing Microsoft Fonts on Windows:

1. Obtain the Microsoft fonts: If you have a version of Microsoft Windows that includes the fonts you need, you can find them in the Windows/Fonts directory. Copy the font files (usually ending in .ttf or .otf) that you want to use in GIMP.
  2. Navigate to the GIMP font directory: Open File Explorer and enter the following path in the address bar: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\fonts. If you installed GIMP in a different location, adjust the path accordingly.
  3. Paste the font files: In the GIMP fonts directory, paste the font files you copied from the Windows/Fonts directory.
  4. Refresh the font cache: Open GIMP 2.10, go to Edit > Preferences. In the Preferences dialog, select the "Folders" category. Under "Fonts," click the "Refresh Font List" button. This will update GIMP's font cache and make the Microsoft fonts available for use.
Installing Microsoft Fonts on Linux:

1. Install the Microsoft Core Fonts package: Open a terminal and enter the following command to install the package:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

• Accept the license agreement: During the installation, you will be prompted to accept the End-User License Agreement for the Microsoft fonts. Use the Tab key to navigate to the "OK" button and press Enter to accept.
  • Refresh the font cache: After the installation is complete, you need to refresh the font cache. Enter the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo fc-cache -f -v
  • Start or restart GIMP: You can now start or restart GIMP 2.10, and the Microsoft fonts should be available for use.

I don't think an installer is even needed LOL if the OP still has a Windows account and partition. All that was needed is be in Linux Mint or other Linux OS, to mount that partition, but various Linux OS's would react to it in different ways. Usually it's allowed but the user could be asked for the "root" password, or demand the user to be "root" in order to finish the operation.

If that C: drive of Windows could be mounted where it could be seen from Caja, Dolphin, GNOME Files, Thunar or whatever, then it's just a matter of opening another window or tab with the same file manager, into /home/(user)/.config/GIMP/2.10/fonts or ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/fonts (really the same thing), and then copying from C:\Windows\Fonts from the Windows partition to the directory for GIMP.

Some people don't like to run Windows Installers and don't even like to download them. 64-bit-only Wine on Void Linux "musl" and a few others in my experience don't even recognize MSI files and such which was a big deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't want anything that makes like a Windows installer even if it could be installed by a Linux package manager.

The font-refresh command isn't needed if it's for GIMP only. It only takes restarting GIMP so that app sees stuff in its own area.

Members online