Microsoft Edge for Linux, will you use it?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Today, after 10 months of general stable availability for Windows and Mac OS X devices, the first version of Microsoft Edge has been released for Linux. The Linux version of Microsoft Edge is released as a development version; it is not stable and should not be used in production environments at the time of writing

As far as installation is concerned, Microsoft is providing .deb and .rpm packages on the company's Microsoft Edge Insider site. Just scroll down on the site and click on the Linux (.deb) or Linux (.rpm) download buttons on the page to download the packages to the local system.

Microsoft published instructions on installing Microsoft Edge using the Microsoft Linux Software Repository and the Linux distribution's standard package management tool. A test installation on a Linux Mint system completed without any issues.

{Condoblokes Comment....Where can Linux users download the anti-virus tools to detect/remove it? };)

Be Warned....many Banks display this caution :problems using Google Chrome or MS Edge browsers when making payments?...A solution is being worked on (and has been for upwards of two weeks)
Customers using Google Chrome V86 and Microsoft Edge V86 browsers to access Westpac Live may experience issues when attempting to click and enter information into the payee reference and description fields for payments.
Our support teams are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

No way, I never like Microsoft products and Apple products. I intend to keep away from them lol. Edge is bad enough just like MSIE.

Firefox on Linux base. Gnome on Android phone is the best choice and I feel more comfortable with. :)

Will I use it? Probably not - but I will install it and play with it. I like trying new things.

thing is i'm already confused from choice i've got icecat , seamonkey, waterfox, chromium and lately Tor browser

I am experiencing some graphical issues with any browsers using the Chromium engne. So probably, if they fix the issue.

I will install it and play with it. I like trying new things.

Same here. In fact, I'm currently downloading it. I may use it to get a few more Microsoft Rewards points (you get bonus points for using Edge) but I'll probably stick to Opera for my main browser.

I am experiencing some graphical issues with any browsers using the Chromium engne. So probably, if they fix the issue.

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in said browsers? That's so frequently the cause.

Let me think about it for a second - NOPE (after 0.4 milliseconds)

Wiz

I use Windows 10 Enterprise at work and have played around with the Chromium Edge browser and the only complaint I have is it's to busy as was the original Edge browser.

I use Firefox and plan on using Firefox as long as it's around.

One nice feature of Edge: it has multiple browsing profiles. This means that if different family members use the same PC, they can each have their own browser experience. Sounds pretty useful, not?

One nice feature of Edge: it has multiple browsing profiles. This means that if different family members use the same PC, they can each have their own browser experience. Sounds pretty useful, not?
Firefox supports that as well and that has been in Firefox for sometime. Why would I even consider using Edge when I have Firefox. Why would I use Manjaro when I can use Arch? Why use Edge when I can use Chromium? So no I will never be using Edge on any of my Gnu/Linux systems.

I moved to Linux to get as far away from anything Micro$oft,so my answer is...never. :mad:

Today, after 10 months of general stable availability for Windows and Mac OS X devices, the first version of Microsoft Edge has been released for Linux. The Linux version of Microsoft Edge is released as a development version; it is not stable and should not be used in production environments at the time of writing

As far as installation is concerned, Microsoft is providing .deb and .rpm packages on the company's Microsoft Edge Insider site. Just scroll down on the site and click on the Linux (.deb) or Linux (.rpm) download buttons on the page to download the packages to the local system.

Microsoft published instructions on installing Microsoft Edge using the Microsoft Linux Software Repository and the Linux distribution's standard package management tool. A test installation on a Linux Mint system completed without any issues.

{Condoblokes Comment....Where can Linux users download the anti-virus tools to detect/remove it? };)

Be Warned....many Banks display this caution :problems using Google Chrome or MS Edge browsers when making payments?...A solution is being worked on (and has been for upwards of two weeks)
Customers using Google Chrome V86 and Microsoft Edge V86 browsers to access Westpac Live may experience issues when attempting to click and enter information into the payee reference and description fields for payments.
@wizardfromoz
I see that Wiz took a lot of time to decide! LOL.
I was a Microsoft guy for about the first fifteen years of my computer experience.
I guess the only reason I would go back is if hell froze over and I then slid down that slippery slope of slop and was forced to use it. LOL.
I would probably go back to using pen and paper and looking for a 'good' newspaper to get my info from.
Old Geez TC

Well said, Charlie.....and welcome back. your absence has been noted....did you bring a note ?

Well,I switched to linux to escape windows bloatware and invasive update process,so no.I must admit,though,I am totally Googlized,so you might say that is just as bad.However,my original reasom for using Google Chrome still stands:speed and ease of operation.Also,I,m hooked on Youtube,so I might as well do it on Chrome.If past versions of Microsoft browsers are any indication,it will probably be a gateway to other microsoft products and not aimed primarily at giving the user a fast and efficient browser experience.Also,I'm just too lazy to figure out a new browser.

Well said, Charlie.....and welcome back. your absence has been noted....did you bring a note ?
It's nice to know I am missed.
Been reading a lot of Linux books on C programming, Command Line by Wm, Shotts, and a few others on scripting etc.
Oh yes, I am trying to finish my complete copy of the Holy Bible also.
However, I do check in daily here to see what's going on, even though I may not log in all the time.
Thank goodness that the golf season is over! That also took up some of my time.
Did I mention what the leaves are doing to my lawn? LOL. Been mulching them about every other day.
Oh yes, must take my wife to the mall for her daily walk of 3-4 miles.
Now, in my spare time ................... LOL.
I guess I will have to write my own note, seeing as all my relatives are in their graves.
Cheers - I think.
Old geez TC

It's nice to know I am missed.
Oh yes, I am trying to finish my complete copy of the Holy Bible also.
Now, in my spare time ................... LOL.
@70 Tango Charlie The Linux Bible is a better read ;)
Also about your signature: You should have ran for president you would have
been a much better candidate. You have my respect for knowing and keeping
up with internet slang at your age.

Last edited:
LOL I am still working my way through the 10th Edition of Wiley's Linux Bible. It's like 1,000 pages, so I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through. I have the 8th Edition, but skipped the 9th.

Staff online