Mediatek mt7921 wireless working flawlessly in kernel 5.15.0-56-generic, but not working in kernel 5.15.0-60 or newer.

StealthySloth

Reaction score
Credits
Hi folks,
Im using Linux Mint 21.1 on a laptop with a mt7921 wifi card. As the title says, wifi works flawlessly (on par with Windows) with kernel 5.15.0-56, but does not work in 5.15.0-60 or newer. With the newer kernels it detects available wifi networks, but fails to connect to it after entering the password (failure message: Activation of Network Connection Failed). In the rare occasion that it connects, the wifi is extremely slow (1-5 Mega bits per second download).

If some one is knowledgeable about this, could you help me find a solution?

Notes:
1. This problem started after the landlord changed the wifi provider. Since, I don't have access to the router, I'm unable to find information about its settings.
2. I've disabled the power savings for wifi.
3. I'd like to replace mediatek with intel, but because i am unable to change cards right now, i'd be very grateful for a software solution

Thanks!

Edit:
dmesg shows that authentication attempts keep timing out:
[ 24.765914] wifi_card: authenticate with __:__:__:__:__:__ [ 24.798133] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 1/3) [ 24.948266] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 2/3) [ 25.116408] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 3/3) [ 25.284444] wifi_card: authentication with __:__:__:__:__:__ timed out [ 26.632912] wifi_card: authenticate with ##:##:##:##:##:## [ 26.663635] wifi_card: send auth to ##:##:##:##:##:## (try 1/3) [ 26.776038] wifi_card: send auth to ##:##:##:##:##:## (try 2/3) [ 26.908048] wifi_card: send auth to ##:##:##:##:##:## (try 3/3) [ 27.040042] wifi_card: authentication with ##:##:##:##:##:## timed out [ 37.770353] wifi_card: authenticate with __:__:__:__:__:__ [ 37.825481] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 1/3) [ 37.984462] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 2/3) [ 38.156033] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 3/3) [ 38.324025] wifi_card: authentication with __:__:__:__:__:__ timed out [ 44.616785] wifi_card: authenticate with __:__:__:__:__:__ [ 44.648733] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 1/3) [ 44.804020] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 2/3) [ 44.976017] wifi_card: send auth to __:__:__:__:__:__ (try 3/3) [ 45.144680] wifi_card: authentication with __:__:__:__:__:__ timed out [ 55.476987] wifi_card: authenticate with ##:##:##:##:##:## [ 55.507759] wifi_card: send auth to ##:##:##:##:##:## (try 1/3) [ 55.620040] wifi_card: send auth to ##:##:##:##:##:## (try 2/3) [ 55.752037] wifi_card: send auth to ##:##:##:##:##:## (try 3/3) [ 55.884039] wifi_card: authentication with ##:##:##:##:##:## timed out

Last edited:

G'day StealthySloth, Welcome to Linux.org

Have you switched kernels to ascertain whether it is, in fact, kernel related ?
OR
is it this ?: This problem started after the landlord changed the wifi provider.

You would do well to revert to the previous kernel to at least rule that out, or in.

I have a Dell that does the same thing - type in password and never connects - fix for me was simple - disconnect the WiFi on the taskbar icon then wait a minute and reconnect it - then it connects normally at every boot up - why it does this I do not know
This problem started after the landlord changed the wifi provider.
You need to find out who the new ISP is - if it is running slower it may be the new ISP is actually slower depending what the landlord is paying for - remember WiFi runs at half-duplex

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day StealthySloth, Welcome to Linux.org

OR
is it this ?: This problem started after the landlord changed the wifi provider.

You would do well to revert to the previous kernel to at least rule that out, or in.
Thanks for the welcome :) and I'm sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I have indeed switched kernels. Kernels newer than 5.15.0-60 generic don't work for me on Linux Mint. Wifi works when I switch back to 5.15.0-56.
Yes, I couldn't connect to the new wifi from the start. I had no problems connecting to the old wifi. There were also no updates/changes to my laptop/OS in the time between shifting from the old wifi to the new wifi.

I was on Pop OS before, and noticed the problem immediately after the provider was changed. I initially thought that it might have been a router problem, but my performance on Windows was fine.
Upon the suggestion of some redditors, i tried Mint which installed with the 5.15.0-56 kernel. This connected to wifi without issues. After the updating to the latest LTS kernel version the wifi stopped working again. When I rebooted with older kernel - 5.15.0-56, wifi connected with no problems. I tested this many times and it was reproducible.

Since kernel 5.15.0-56 is superseded, I've switched from Mint to Manjaro. On Manjaro I've had to downgrade to the 5.15.102-1-Manjaro LTS kernel to get the wifi to work. On the 6.1.19-1 LTS kernel, wifi fails to connect. (Again, I've tested this more than once and its reproducible)

In case this is of any help:
  1. I couldn't connect to this specific wifi from live versions of Fedora, Ubuntu or Endeavour OS.
  2. The new wifi has a signal strength of about 60% the old wifi was about 90% (different router locations)

Last edited:
I have a Dell that does the same thing - type in password and never connects - fix for me was simple - disconnect the WiFi on the taskbar icon then wait a minute and reconnect it - then it connects normally at every boot up - why it does this I do not know

You need to find out who the new ISP is - if it is running slower it may be the new ISP is actually slower depending what the landlord is paying for - remember WiFi runs at half-duplex
Thanks for the suggestion.
disconnect the WiFi on the taskbar icon then wait a minute and reconnect it
I have tried this, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me
if it is running slower it may be the new ISP is actually slower depending what the landlord is paying for
That's an excellent point. In my case though:
  1. With the newer linux kernels, my laptop almost always fails to authenticate with the new wifi. This makes it difficult for me to do speed comparisons.
  2. Yet, any speed comparisons are between linux and windows (running on the same laptop and on the same network).

Have you tried and manually create the connection, see if new router is WPA3 instead of WPA2

on my Xfce desktop you have to select WPA3 Manually

1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts