Maybe linux isn't for me.

ughhhyme

Reaction score
Credits
Tried to install ubuntu, was stuck on the login screen loop. Tried a few different commands with alt + ctrl + F2. Nothing worked. Tried to install mint Xfce 64-bit.. Got it working.... somewhat... but the resolution is 640x480 and is the only option for resolution.. I'm thinking I might just try another distro. I have a GV-N206SWF2OC-8GD which I'm thinking might be the issue? any suggestions?

I got xubuntu working, or so I thought.. I was even able to go on my game for a while last night but today it's in safemode and wont switch to OpenGL or DirectX and has very low FPS. In my additional drivers it says Nvidia corporation: Unknown, but under that it says this device is using nvidia 435, and I have 430 and another option "Using X.Org X Server -- Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-noveau(Open source)".. I might just scratch xubuntu and try your suggestion with Peppermint

Last edited:
Have you installed the updates for Xubuntu.

Go into additional drivers and see if the Nouveau display driver is being used.

Nvidia 435 /430 is a graphics driver.

You never say if you have ran updates after you installed Linux Mint or Xubuntu.

If you haven't than you need to because it still sounds as though you are missing the right proprietary Nvidia graphics card driver if it is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I have installed the updates for xubuntu, My software update says everything is up to date.
I guess I assumed the drivers chipset were being used as the circle looks like its checked but on closer inspection it says no proprietary drivers are in use.
do you mean apt-get update and apt-get upgrade? those updates? I've done those commands on all the xunbuntu and the previous OS's I've tried.
So I guess I need the correct proprietary Nvidia graphics card driver?

Linux has a bit of a learning curve. It takes a bit, and I have been using Linux for years and still have to google for help. Stick with it, I think that you will be happy with it once you get used to it.

BTW is your installation a VM or Bare Metal?

Reactions: Rob
It sounds like you know how to do updates and it looks like you have the latest available driver from Nvidia.

I don't know if a newer driver is available via a ppa.

Your graphics card is pretty new a newer driver may not be available yet.

That's the only bummer about Linux is the latest hardware doesn't always have drivers available as quick as the hardware is available.

I don't think you would get a different driver using Peppermint since it's also a Ubuntu base and uses the same drivers and kernel.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW is your installation a VM or Bare Metal?
I believe bare metal, I've yet to try a virtual machine. I'm really hoping it'll be worth it in the long run!

Your graphics card is pretty new a newer driver may not be available yet.
Hmm, any idea why I was able to run a game (RS3) on high graphics/high FPS last night?
This morning it's stuck in "safemode" which runs it at very low graphics and fps and can't change the settings o_O
would this be more of a game client issue or something with the OS or gpu possibly?

That's the only bummer about Linux is the latest hardware doesn't always have drivers available as quick as the hardware is available.
do you know roughly how long it can take for the new drivers to be available?

Last edited:
What is your ping rate to 91.235.140.148. Open the terminal and type : ping 91.235.140.148. you are looking for the : time=76.1 ms. this is a terrible time for gaming but i live out in the boonies.

What is your ping rate to 91.235.140.148. Open the terminal and type : ping 91.235.140.148. you are looking for the : time=76.1 ms. this is a terrible time for gaming but i live out in the boonies.
I just built a new rig a few weeks a go, and I'm pretty much in the middle of the city. time = 27-30 ms

Those ping rates look like you are on a wifi connection. if possible wired would be better.

Did you check here : https://support.runescape.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207223015
You might have to back down the graphic detail setting, which may stabilize the game but will reduce resolution.

And if you are using a web browser to access the game firefox is a memory hog, you may have better results with chrome.

btw : are we talking about RuneScape? what Nvidia card do you have? are you running multiple monitors? and are there unnecessary processes running?

I just checked the Nvidia website for the latest driver for your card for Linux and it is 435.21 August 2019.

It appears you have the latest available driver.
How's the graphics when not running games.

It appears you have the latest available driver.
How's the graphics when not running games.
Thanks, I wasn't sure. I don't have the best monitor, but the graphics are decent while not running a game. youtube is fine, just need a adblocker lol

Open the menu for Firefox and goto add ons and download Ublock Origin it seems to work well although Youtube does have a lot of advertising crapola.

I use DuckDuckGo and have their privacy essentials installed also.

I also use firejail sandbox and the default settings are good enough.

This may also be of use.

That's great that you figured it out. Linux can be challenging, but if you reach out for help people are enthusiastic and want to help. That's one thing I love about the Linux Community. If you need any more support don't hesitate to post any question in this chain. I will try RS3 and push my graphics card to see if i can replicate the issue you are experiencing.

Cheers! :)

I use DuckDuckGo and have their privacy essentials installed also.

I also use firejail sandbox and the default settings are good enough.
I actually heard about duckduckgo a few days a go, I'm gonna start using it soon.
I'll take a look into the firejail and take a look at the other link as well.

If you need any more support don't hesitate to post any question in this chain. I will try RS3 and push my graphics card to see if i can replicate the issue you are experiencing.
I have the java client I'm thinking the FPS would be better if I could change the display mode to OpenGL or DirectX but it seems to be stuck in safemode. I'm pretty sure I had the NXT client some how last night, but I'm not sure how I installed it and I uninstalled it earlier by accident trying to remove a duplicate rs icon.

I also had a thought, maybe I'll try a VM and get windows on it for the meantime?
and I can't play on a VM cause it will apparently get me banned.

Last edited:
I run RS3 on a Manjaro Linux via flatpak. If you need help: https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/ and to install RS3 via flatpak, there is a link at the bottom of that page. The only disadvantage for me is that I need to repair the RS installation when the kernel is upgraded. Usually I reinstall at each upgrade.
Flatpak installed all the latest nvidia propietary drivers and set the game up in a very good way. Graphics is running smoothly.

Reactions: Rob

Members online