maybe a stupid question

M

Mandapanda82

So I have been trying to install Gnome shell on my computer, I know I have Ubuntu, but I keep getting error that I think are related to Debian. So my question is how do I find out if I have Debian by mistake and how do I fix the error.
This is the error i got when i tried to install the weather app, plus i don't even think the gnome shell is working.
E: Unable to locate package gnome-shell-extensions-weather

Im using Trisquel-Mini and this worked for me:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool; sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/gnome; sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensions-weather

still got the same error, and i still show this Debian grub loader when i restated the computer. could that be effecting it ?

You need to update the package list. The gnome weather app is just gnome-weather.
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-weather

Reboot or log out. At the login screen, select the Ubuntu logo next to your username and select GNOME.

If you want the LATEST Gnome 3.8, perform the following:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop gnome-weather
then perform the login screen procedure.

P.S. Ubuntu is a "Freeze" of Debian testing. They both use the same package manager...

In your terminal Run
Code:
 lsb_release -a
This will tell you what your system is.

I still got the same error when I tried the weather app;
E: Unable to locate package gnome-weather

As for the gnome 3.8 update it gave me all these warnings and i skipped it.

I also tried Nat suggustion to see what I had and it said; Ubuntu 12.04.2 but also mention 'No LSB modules are available'

no error, but let me test logging off and then on again

nope, the weather app didn't come out when I logged out and then back in. maybe a complete shutdown will do it. Which brings up another question in gnome I don't seem to have that option it just says log out and suspend, oh and lock screen.

Members online