Maximum number of groups allowed in Linux

Christober

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

What is the maximum limit for creating groups? or can we create boundless of groups in Linux?

If so, what are the consequences we can expect?

Thanks,
Christober

G'day Chris and Welcome to linux.org

I would imagine groups would be established at the discretion of the site owner/moderators.....and I would imagine one or the other will respond to you shortly.

What type of "groups" did you have in mind ?

I believe the OP is talking about Groups for purposes of ownership and access permissions, Brian.

I s THat so, @Christober ? And wecome to linux.org from another Aussie :)

Groups can include names like admin, <yourusername> (in my case chris), root, wheel, audio, tty, mail, and on and on.

You can see what groups are on your current Linux distribution by using a Text Editor to open

/etc/group

Mine in this LInux Mint has 70. The group file also shows which Users are members of which Groups.

What is the maximum limit for creating groups?

None, within reason - the default limit is 65,536 (64 x 1,024), but this is able to be altered through

/usr/include/linux/limits.h

If so, what are the consequences we can expect?

No idea, beyond my paygrade.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

:D....well.....I didnt read that properly before I burst forth with a mouth full of gobbledegook !!!!

Thank you so much for your support. The idea is l creating a separate user-groups for each job. Ex. Job1_read, job1_write,,,,,,job99_read job99_write.

So that dynamically I can provide access to multiple users (only those are going to work) by just include them into the job specific group.

Thanks,
Christober

Members online