Matthew Moore gets a Virus on Arch.....?? :(

All I'll say is that in a later video under comments he wouldn't answer why he disabled comments on the "Myths" video.

That depends. Most disributions backport security measures back to older kernels. For example, Ubuntu 14.04 has the 3.19 kernel and although the Linux Foundation is not going to be providing support since it is not an LTS kernel, Canonical will be. Or you could switch to an LTS Kernel which will receive security fixes directly from the Linux Foundation. Besides, the userland tools are the most vulnerable to viruses not the Kernel. ;)
Oh..... So THAT'S how older Kernels could be safe to use, still..... :) Well, I ALWAYS use LTS, where available, except when I somehow got 15.04 on my Inspiron, and now it's got too much Files on it to back it up to make room for an LTS Release..... :( But why are Userland tools vulnerable.....? :(

I have really been digging into this and after about 4 hours I cannot infect a Manjaro system with the same malware. No other downloads have been found except for the one that @rstanley posted. The viruses Mr. Moore 'found' on his system do not run on Linux. With or without wine. I even did the worst thing anyone can do and deliberately ran the malware with root permissions. I received an error about invalid objects. Overall I think Mr. Moore was either distorting the truth or even worse was lying. He could have very easily created a script to cause the 'symptoms' of a virus.
Code:
if [ ! -f /var/tmp/imagination/teckdefense.dll ]; then
/usr/bin/imagination
fi
would be the most simple script. Then just edit the .desktop file... Why did he not just run the command in a terminal to see what is happening?
Without more information from Mr. Moore I cannot reproduce his results.
Well said!..... :3 And what's more, the Code isn't as cryptic to me as it used to be!..... :) But man, if he's lying about a System he likes so MUCH..... :( That's TERRIBLE...... :(

Oh my goodness .. get of his back !!!!

If you watch the video, the malware was causing imagination to no simply not load at all until the infected files were removed. I thought it was a great video and example that yes, Linux is prone to viruses. trojans, malware etc. It might not have been seriously detrimental to his system but it was still enough for the program to not work.

I hope Matthew Moore keeps up with the videos.

Oh my goodness .. get of his back !!!!

If you watch the video, the malware was causing imagination to no simply not load at all until the infected files were removed. I thought it was a great video and example that yes, Linux is prone to viruses. trojans, malware etc. It might not have been seriously detrimental to his system but it was still enough for the program to not work.

His example is completely bogus. Those "virus" files are actually test virus files for WINDOWS. His system was not infected, he simply made his system look as if it were infected. He provides no real evidence. How did he get the virus? How did he compile Imagination? Why does the anti-virus program, which only scans for Windows viruses, find it? How does removing those files fix the problem? Not enough information. He is bogus.

If you watch the video, the malware was causing imagination to no simply not load at all until the infected files were removed.
"var/tmp/Imagination"
This directory was NOT created by the alleged "Malware", nor by a legitimate copy of "Imagination" but was probably created manually.

As for the application not working while the so-called Malware files were present, either the icon was linked to a script such as what ryanvade showed, or the source code for the application was edited. No .dll file, nor a .exe file could alter the operation of Linux or any Linux app without Wine installed and running.
And I sincerely hope he goes away, permanaently!

Well, bogus or not I still like to run anti-virus software on my Linux system.

Any computer network, any OS system is venerable to potential attacks. Linux might be a lot less inclined to have issues like Windows but that doesn't mean it can never happen.

It is like saying that using the Tor Network is totally anonymous and you simply can't be tracked.

Well, bogus or not I still like to run anti-virus software on my Linux system.
I agree, especially if your systems are file & print, mail servers, etc...

All we were saying was that Mathew Moore had rigged a system to make a point, but only made a fool of himself in the process. People like him do more harm to the Linux and Open Source community then helps!

Members online