mass convert flac / ape / wv + cue to fdk with one command???

D

Deleted member 84838

Hi,

I'm using a debian-based linux. I have many music albums in flac / wv / ape + cue and/or as separate tracks.

How do I mass convert all of them to fdk aac (for ex. vbr 3 or 2 or 1) with only one command? Using SoX or maybe ffmpeg (or maybe with fdkaac cmd encoder and something else)?

G'day @bigbanana69 and welcome to linux.org :)

I am not an audiophile myself, but one of our more prominent Members, as well as being a Scripting Guru, is also a musician. By mentioning his name, I am "pinging" him and he may swing by when he can.

@JasKinasis

If Jas has an idea that involves scripting, I will move this Thread at that time to Command Line, where scripting questions are dealt with.

I'm using a debian-based linux.

Tell us which one, even down to version and desktop environment. Some of the packages, and thus the commands, can differ a little even in Debian-based.

Good luck and I will watch with interest.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'm on Astralinux SE 1.6, as far as I saw it has some libffmpeg and libsox packages (while not ffmpeg and not sox). I use qmmp player which has some convert plugin (although I haven't tried it how it works and if it supports fdk aac).

I'm on Astralinux SE 1.6, as far as I saw it has some libffmpeg and libsox packages (while not ffmpeg and not sox). I use qmmp player which has some convert plugin (although I haven't tried it how it works and if it supports fdk aac).

Hi @bigbanana69 I believe that if your distro has libffmpeg then it also has ffmpeg, otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to play any file being audio or video, you can verify that with
Code:
apt search ffmpeg
and you should find that it is installed. For converting several files from one format to another you can use ffmpeg
Code:
ffmpeg -i audio_input.flac audio_output_1.fdk audio_output_2.acc
Regarding the cue files you can use cuetools
Code:
sudo apt-get install cuetools
it's a very easy to use program. You can read more about how to use ffmpeg here https://itsfoss.com/ffmpeg/

Hope this helps! :)

I just had checked it. It doesn't has libffmpeg neither ffmpeg installed. I had checked the package manager and it doesn't has ffmpeg neither fdk which are included in Astralinux CE in the debian repository. Astralinux SE doesn't supports the debian repository... while Astralinux CE (Common Edition) supports it.

I had also checked qmmp convert option which has vorbis and opus (and few other audio encoders), but not FDK as it has an option for additional command parameters (and support for additional encoders) which aren't included in the default setup. Btw I can mass convert many lossless albums graphically to fdk with qmmp with few clicks.

I'm wondering where I can find packages for Astralinux SE?

Astralinux SE doesn't supports the debian repository... while Astralinux CE (Common Edition) supports it.

I understand ... that is an unusual choice of Distro, being developed, initially, for the Russian military?

Do you have the English version, Russian, or other?

Their site at https://astralinux.ru/ might be able to assist, but I don't speak Russian.

Wizard

Does astralinux use libav instead of ffmpeg?

If so, install libav and avtools and then use the avconv command instead.
Libav is a fork of the ffmpeg project. And avconv is equivalent to the actual ffmpeg tool.

Otherwise, if that is not available - perhaps consider building and installing ffmpeg from source!

Yes, Astralinux is a Russian Defence Forces System, I think it uses libav, anyway I'll compile fdk and similar packages... I'll handle it.

Btw the edition has English language support.

JasKinasis, I was more of thinking what would be an avconv (or ffmpeg or something else) single command input to do mass conversion of many music albums in different lossless formats (range rip [lossless + cue] or as separate tracks) to fdk vbr 3 (or vbr 2 or vbr 1)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online