Manjaro LXDE Hybrid NVIDIA&Intel drivers not working.

LydeXD

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all! I just distrohopped from RebornOS to Manjaro LXDE, and the graphics drivers are being sort of wacky. I've been screwing with Manjaro for the last few days, trying to figure out why the drivers are being weird. It has me kind of mad, since on other distributions, I've NEVER had this bad of an issue before. I have a hybrid laptop, with an Intel CPU and an NVIDIA GPU. I've tried everything I know how to do, including installing optimus manager. If anyone can help me with my issue, please reply, your help would be greatly appreciated.

How did you like RebornOS? Why did you switch -- just curiousity or what?

List the output of this command, please --
Code:
lspci
If Radeon drivers, see this tutorial from Manjaro
If not, at least you will have given us enough hardware information for us to begin helping you.

And . . . Welcome to the forum!

How did you like RebornOS? Why did you switch -- just curiousity or what?

List the output of this command, please --
Code:
lspci
If Radeon drivers, see this tutorial from Manjaro
If not, at least you will have given us enough hardware information for us to begin helping you.

And . . . Welcome to the forum!
Sorry for the late response, was dealing with personal stuff. I liked RebornOS, ran nice and smooth. But I heard Manjaro was more beginner friendly, which is why I switched back to Manjaro, this time in LXDE edition. I installed my drivers and updated my system, along with my kernel. Yet, for some strange reason, I can't get steam games to run on my dGPU. The output for "lspci" gives me this:

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 10th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] (rev 05)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 02)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Thermal Controller
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Shared SRAM
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH CNVi WiFi
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake HECI Controller
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 06d3
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCI Express Root Port #21 (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 06b5 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Comet Lake LPC Controller
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH cAVS
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SMBus Controller
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SPI Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10fa (rev a1)
06:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (rev 01)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 2600 (rev 21)
[CODE]

From everything I've read, this hybrid driver thing isn't needed.
First, it doesn't do what some seem to think it does.
It isn't like nVidia SLI or AMD Crossfire. Where you can "team"
the two GPUs, but rather, it s simple way to switch back and forth
between embedded Intel graphics and the nVidia driver.
I myself have a couple of machine with nVidia GPUs that also have
Intel embedded GOUs, and I'm wondering why you ever want to do this?

Can't say as to why anyone would want to switch on-the-fly, either. Jumpers make more sense. One or the other. The old saying, 'sold a bill of goods' comes to mind, though.

Maybe it would be simpler to reinstall Reborn, especially if was working correctly. You can see that, although both are ultimately Arch-based, one IS more user-friendly than the other. I think you were using it.

It seems I have everything needed for NVIDIA stuff. I can't put my GPU to use, that is the problem I am having. Putting "prime-run %command%" in a game's launch option does nothing, as it will run on the iGPU anyway. But doing "prime-run glxgears" will run it on my GPU. How would I go about fixing this?

It's probably just an edit of a config file, but I don't know the distro. Others have had to download firmware from their distro's repos in order to get functionality out of their graphics cards.

Ask an Archer

Archer here! I'd try installing another DE, like GNOME, and see if the issue still appears. I tend to use Pop!_OS on my hybrid Intel-NVIDIA laptop, running GNOME, and it works like a charm, so hopefully this helps for your issue.
Install GNOME, make sure your drivers are up to date for both Intel and NVIDIA, then try running a game (or Steam) on the dGPU through prime-run or whatever you use. There might also be a menu to run Steam on the dGPU when you right click on GNOME, and it should run the games on that.
If changing DEs doesn't fix it, I don't have much experience otherwise, so all I can recommend is to try out Pop!_OS or go back to your preferred distro that works.

I'll try out Arch on my laptop in the coming weeks and see if I come across the issue you're having on your laptop, hopefully I can help you when that time comes. Currently backed up on personal stuff, so probably going to be a while.

Members online