Manager for VMs what do you use?

vikozo

Reaction score
Credits
hello
on my Laptop i would like to run, sometimes, some virtuell Maschine, one for bank transfer, one for kali, and other.
what would be a nice small opensource Manager?
have a nice day
vinc

I no longer need virtual machines bc now there's DX12 for Linux. :D
But when I used to use VMs, I used VirtualBox for 2 reasons:
1. Ever since VMWare 11 they screwed something up and it keeps crying that neither I or the VM have enough RAM (which was never true).
2. VirtualBox is free (no license needed).

qemu/kvm/libvirt

Only dislike - it puts the VMs on a different subnet than your host.
You can ssh and scp to them from your host, but not from any other computers on your local lan.
If you need them to be on local subnet, use virtualBox.

I'm happy with VirtualBox. Any performance loss is fairly trivial in modernity and I tend to use devices with lots of power.

qemu/kvm/libvirt

Only dislike - it puts the VMs on a different subnet than your host.
You can ssh and scp to them from your host, but not from any other computers on your local lan.
If you need them to be on local subnet, use virtualBox.

I believe you can setup bridging, but I haven't done it in my setup.

I'm happy with VirtualBox. Any performance loss is fairly trivial in modernity and I tend to use devices with lots of power.
as long as it works for you. VirtualBox is not bad by any means.

Thanks a lot for all Feedback i think i will go for QEMU/KVM with virt-manager

Last edited:
I had looked into using this and was able to set up a bridged switch. It is too bad this isn't a simple thing that can be selected and be done with it. I use esxi and can set up things quickly and with little effort. Some day I may go back and try out KVM out again.

Thanks to this thread I set up my quemu / kvm / virt-manager tandem. I will recreate some expendable virtual machines on them to play, and probably will be moving in the long term if it ends up working as you are making me expect.

I still won't be able to move (at least not that I know for now) my Windows 10 machine, as the cheap license I bought for it is an OEM and it's tied to the virtualised hardware on VirtualBox. But for what is worth I did do some experiments, and my no-longer-activated migrated Windows machine doesn't seem to gain any performance on KVM (on an Intel 8th Gen), even when moving the disk from SATA to VirtIO.

Thanks to this thread I set up my quemu / kvm / virt-manager tandem. I will recreate some expendable virtual machines on them to play, and probably will be moving in the long term if it ends up working as you are making me expect.

I still won't be able to move (at least not that I know for now) my Windows 10 machine, as the cheap license I bought for it is an OEM and it's tied to the virtualised hardware on VirtualBox. But for what is worth I did do some experiments, and my no-longer-activated migrated Windows machine doesn't seem to gain any performance on KVM (on an Intel 8th Gen), even when moving the disk from SATA to VirtIO.

If you install Windows 10, there are some drivers that you need to download and install after the Windows 10 installation.

If you install Windows 10, there are some drivers that you need to download and install after the Windows 10 installation.

Yes, I did install those drivers. I didn’t install windows 10 from scratch, though, but instead converted the machine and fixed the drivers.

Members online