'man'

M

MustangV10

Am I missing something? I used to use 'man' sometimes in SSH to look at manuals of different commands, however now the command isn't working, just displays it as not found.

Any ideas?

Red Hat based: yum install man-pages
Debian: apt-get install man-pages

It's just not installed it looks like.

Some Slackware-based systems - slapt-get --install man-pages
slapt-get works on all Slackware-based systems and works like Debian's apt-get. http://software.jaos.org/

Arch - pacman -S man-pages

In debian the package "manpages" contains some standard man entries. There is no such package as "man-pages". /usr/bin/man itself is part of the man-db package.

In slackware, /usr/bin/man is part of the man package and the standard man entries are in the man-pages package.

All other man page entries are usually part of their respective packages.

I used to use 'man' sometimes in SSH to look at manuals of different commands, however now the command isn't working, just displays it as not found.
Do you mean you're using SSH to get to a Linux machine?
Which Linux distro?
Are you sure you're asking man for information it has? Many commands have no man entry.

Do you mean you're using SSH to get to a Linux machine?
Which Linux distro?
Are you sure you're asking man for information it has? Many commands have no man entry.

This is an old post (Nov. 2011). I doubt you will get an answer. I wanted to include information on installing "man-pages" on other systems.

Members online