Malformed Entry in Wine Repository Installation

datajj

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
Running into problems with installing the Wine repository on Ubuntu 19.10. Never seen this error so before so if there's any help to get me on path of figuring this out, greatly appreciated.

Installation instructions used is from the following link:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Everything appears fine until I go to add the repository.

Error I'm seeing when I go to add the repository is the below. This error is replicated when I use sudo apt update as well.
E: Malformed entry 58 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component) E: The list of sources could not be read.

G'day datajj, and Welcome to linux.org

Try This

G'day @datajj and welcome to linux.org from another Aussie :)

In case you are having difficulty in distinguishing the difference between the guide you were following and the guide Brian has provided above -

The one you were (quite reasonably) following is deficient in one vital area.

When you add a repository, you should always follow it with (my comments prefaced with a hash)

Code:
sudo apt-get update

#or

sudo apt update

That updates your package management sytem to be able to install software from the venue.

Hence your error messages.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

An alternative way of looking at it is the error message says there is a mistake (malformation) in your sources list.

Experience suggests to me that what you might think is line 54 is not always line 54. One way around this is to tell us the whole contents of your sources list. So, what is the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list ? Can you copy and paste the contents here, please?

An alternative way of looking at it is the error message says there is a mistake (malformation) in your sources list.

Experience suggests to me that what you might think is line 54 is not always line 54. One way around this is to tell us the whole contents of your sources list. So, what is the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list ? Can you copy and paste the contents here, please?
My thoughts exactly @arochester . I would like to see the *exact* line or lines being added.
A simple punctuation error could result in the repository not being recognized.

Edited to add:
I just happened to watch this video this morning. Might be useful.
How to install Wine 5.0 on Linux Mint 19.3

Last edited:
Issue is fixed. In case any one else sees the thread and has a similar issue, I essentially used all the posts to find the fix.
1. Opened the /etc/apt/sources.list in Software Updater and removed the wine repositories that were pre-existing.
2. Then went to the terminal and did
sudo apt-get update
and then
sudo apt-get upgrade
Everything updated. I couldn't do this before.
3. Then went to link provided by Condobloke and followed the steps.
4. Configured Wine and confirmed version to confirm installation.

The last time something like this happened with Wine I gave up and re-installed the OS because I couldn't figure it out. Thanks everyone!

Members online