Making linux default O.S.

Alberto Fernández

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, I'm still a "baby" in this new world, but I manage to install Ubuntu 16.04 lts on my notebook, everything seems amazing but I'm having trouble with grub; When I turn on my notebook, no matter what, windows still is the default O.S.

Is there a way to change the setup so Linux (GRUB) will show first in order to choose between Ubuntu and windows10?

If there's already a thread about it, please leave the link. Tnks everyone :D.

@Alberto Fernández - Hi and welcome to Linux.org :)

My comments in between yours, and further, below

Hello everyone, I'm still a "baby" in this new world,

Aren't we all? I have been full-time Linux for a little over 3 years, and if there is a day goes past where I don't learn at least three new things ... it is a quiet day.

but I manage to install Ubuntu 16.04 lts on my notebook, everything seems amazing

You have already done well, by yourself :D

but I'm having trouble with grub (many of us do) ; When I turn on my notebook, no matter what, windows still is the default O.S.

If I take it that you had Windows on first (& which Windows?) and then installed Ubuntu (this is the preferred way), then see below the quotes box

Is there a way to change the setup so Linux (GRUB) will show first in order to choose between Ubuntu and windows10 - Very likely, see below

If there's already a thread about it, please leave the link. :D.

I'll leave that to those whom have been here longer than I

First things first - if you have not already done so since installing Ubuntu, go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t is a keyboard shortcut, or else go to the Dash, top left side of screen and start typing Terminal)

In Terminal, type

Code:
sudo update-grub

and press Enter. It will ask for your password (shows no sign of movement - security measure) and press Enter.

Output text will be produced, starting with "Generating grub configuration file...".

Once that is complete, reboot and see if Ubuntu is on top.

If it is, well and good. If not, we can look at further options.

Also, when you are in Ubuntu, if you have not already done so, at Terminal

Code:
sudo ufw enable

... will enable, instantly, your Firewall (UFW is the Uncomplicated Fire Wall), and generate a small startup script that will keep it enabled every time you reboot.

I will await your further response in your own time.

Enjoy Linux - I do :D

Wizard

edited - typo

What Wizard said should work, but I will add this warning, based on what my friends that have Win 10 told me: An update from Microsoft will come down on Win 10 that will change things back, and possibly trash your Grub file. This hasn't happened to me because I don't run 10 on anything. It is not only blocked from my computers, it is blocked at my router. I do dual boot with Win 7, but I do not update Win 7.