Making a win10 laptop dual-boot

TheDennis

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I just started realizing how cool Linux actually is, and I really want to install it on my laptop. The problem is that it's a new laptop, with win10, + warranty. Sooo... before starting to play with dual-boot I wanted to know how to backup the hdd, so that if something happens you just load the backup and you say to the manufacters that you didn't touch absolutely anything.... ;D
2nd problem: partitions. I know hdds can hold up to 4 of them, but since Microsoft is an awesome dude most of the times he uses all 4 of them so that you can't do dual-boot and stuff.
As you see I may still need some clarification about that stuff, since I never did this kind of things...
Hope my English is not bad, and that this thread is not so messy...

Hi welcome to linux.org
Witch distro do you want to install?

...since Microsoft is an awesome dude most of the times he uses all 4 of them so that you can't do dual-boot and stuff.

Not quite true, but I will explain.

G'day @TheDennis and welcome to linux.org :). Hi Peer, Hi Tom :D

Tom (@poorguy ) that is a REALLY good find, that article. It covers a number of things I would have asked. Thanks!

One error in it, not major, but significant -

Step 2 he says, in part

Since my machine has only one partition, i.e. C:, I will shrink it for Ubuntu installation.

Not so. He has only one drive, he has 3 partitions on that drive.

@TheDennis - are you familiar with the Windows Snipping Tool? And what is your first language?

BTW (By The Way) your English is fine :p

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You posted while I was writing.

Patience, young fella. :)

So does that mean you have already installed Linux?

Wizard
No, I just prepared the USB drive to boot the ubuntu. I used Macrinium (free version) to do an image of the whole disk, wich I saved to my other PC. That means my backup is done, right?

First thing you need to do is go into your BIOS (this is when your computer boots) by pressing F10 on Acer F2 on Dell. Not sure on the others, search the internet. Disable smartboot. allow boot from usb. Done :)

I used Macrinium (free version) to do an image of the whole disk, wich I saved to my other PC. That means my backup is done, right?

That is a good start.

Provided the Macrinium image is bootable. Is it? Windows 10 have their own means of generating a Recovery Disk or DVD/s. I used it with mine, and have it on a 16GB USB stick, clearly labelled both sides.

From my Post at #6

@TheDennis - are you familiar with the Windows Snipping Tool? And what is your first language?

If you follow that article Poorguy referred to - there is a part there where the writer refers to Disk Management.

It includes a screenshot, look at this and try to do from your Windows:

2fDtM3v.png

If you put your mouse cursor in the spot saying "Disk 0 (zero) and right-click, you get options - click Properties, then at the next window click "Volumes", and tell us if it says GPT, it could say MSDOS-MBR, something like that.

Don't go installing from your USB stick until you report back, please.

Cheers

Wizard

That's good, Mate :)

For easier viewing, I'll place that here

UMaPLpx.png

If it is a little small, The Viewers can, in their Browser, hold down the Ctrl key and tap the "+" key a few times to enlarge. To return to normal, press Ctrl and tap 0 (zero).

Or do the same thing at Imgur (a little clearer).

@TheDennis if you view my video here https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/ ... you can see how to better post your screenshots from Imgur.

Headings and some of the text, in the screenshot, is in Italian. :) He has a 1TB HDD, a good size to work with.

So @TheDennis ... this is a good situation to be in, for trying Linux. I suspected it might be so.

The combination of UEFI-GPT means that you are not subject to the "4 Partition Rules" that applies to those using BIOS-MBR.

What you can do is, in Windows Disk Management, shrink your Windows partition (the big fellow), back by about half (allow a bit for Windows growth if you are going to continue to use Windows), the rest of the space, several hundred GB will become "unallocated space".

You then boot from your Linux USB stick, and install Linux in the remaining, unallocated space.

I have to go out for a bit, but I will be back with more, and there is more to tell, so try not to get ahead of me :)

Cheers all, and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

@wizardfromoz Done, successfully installed Linux \^o^/
I installed Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu, I changed my mind: it's based on Ubuntu, but the look is freshier ^^
When installing, it automatically splits the main partition, so I deleted the partition I manually made. I already got some problems, with installing tar.gz files, now I "just" need to download things to mess around with android os / linux (I probably won't go far with that, but I still want to try ;D) Thanks for your help/time! You will probably see me around this forum because I always get something to not work..... xD

because I always get something to not work..... xD

I like that, Dennis, join the club :)

with installing tar.gz files

That can be a little tricky but can also be unnecessary, if packages/apps you are looking for are already available to you to be installed within your Linux Mint's "warehouse" called a Repository or Repo for short.

Be sure you enable your Firewall.

Ctrl-Alt-t for Terminal, then

Code:
sudo ufw enable

Cheers and

Avagudweegend (Aussie for "Have a good weekend")

Chris

Staff online

Members online