Making a Laptop into a Typewriter

Ari32

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,
I have an awful little laptop that I'd like to convert into a typewriter for work. Basically, something that runs only a text editor like word, and usb support. I heard this could be done with (arch?) linux and libre office, but I've never touched linux before.
Could anyone help me build such an OS?
Thank you,
-Ari

What is the make and model of your awful little laptop?

How much RAM have you got?

Hello,
It's a Dell 11" with an Pentium n3700 cpu and 4g of ram. Its touch compatible and foldable (but I don't intend to use either feature)
Also it was built running windows

This Dell Laptop?
Came with Win10, so UEFI.
Minimal 64bit with browser and Libre Office is one suggestion. Or will you want only web-based word processor and cloud storage?

Addendum: Linux Lite and choose WP -- web-based ; installed -- WPS or LibreOffice.
Suggestions only. You choose. We'll help. Welcome to GNU/Linux!

Last edited:
Yup thats the one (but a bit older. No SSD or 8g ram)
I'm going with libre office, but no web browser. Reaaally keeping it basic. It could open straight to libre, there'll literally be nothing else on it.

Take choice -- download the ISO and make a USB to install from or buy a USB with it already on it.
Gotta go. Please take over, Condobloke.

Uh... looking at the site, that looks nice, but I'm not certain that's what I'm looking for. That's a whole OS. Does it come with a stripped down version without all the programs?

No it does not.
The greater percentage of Linux OS's will come with a selection of Apps......Libre Office being one of them
You simply choose not to use whatever you do not wish to use.
Linux Lite is very reliable, and would perform really well on that PC with 4GB ram

You are able to buy a CD direct from Linux Lite and try it out....or you can download the ISO and 'burn' it to a thumb drive and then boot the pc to that thumb drive.
The cd from linux lite combined with their support is the easiest approach

Your call.

I'm sorry but that's not really what I was looking for

If I wasn't descriptive enough, I'm not looking to build something functional. I have another, usable laptop for day to day use. I was really just looking to gut this one down to... a typewriter.
In any case, thank you for your time and replies

@Ari32 -- any way a person looks at it, to turn a distro into just a 'typewriter' will require some effort.
Either install a distro like Linux Lite then remove the programs not needed, or install a minimal ditribution (lubuntu has a 'mini' ISO that may be downloaded) and then install the programs desired.

Question is -- do you know how to do either? Do you want to learn how?

Condobloke gave you a viable solution. But you chose to give up on it. But did you see his link suggesting Puppy Linux? Such is your right!

To expect to find something that is 'just a typewriter' out-of-the-box is unrealistic, when speaking of GNU/Linux. Do you want something free but requires work, or do you want to just to pay money for it without 'getting your hands dirty,' so to speak?

If the latter, then you have come to the wrong place.
ALTERNATIVE: you can always pay someone (like me) in advance to create what you want by sending the laptop and probably more than it is worth (in cash) to install in the OS only the programs you want on your "awful little laptop," then pay to have it shipped back to you.
----------------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE with GNU/Linux: you are free to do as you choose. Best wishes and good luck to you!

Mmm Fossapup is a new Pup which much more modular. Puppies come in Iso form but where they differ is that they are a series of sfs's which means you can delete the a drive which contains the optional software and have a very base system and just add the app you want as a type writer.
So to get your head around if Adrvsfs, fdrvsfs (Firmware), puppy.sfs (base system) and zdrv (The kernel) so you can have a full system as the standard iso has or install the contents frugally and delete the adrv.sfs and you have a minimal base system.

Details here: https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=88

@sp331yi Yeah, messing with computer internals is never easy. I did read all three articles before coming here, but as someone who never used linux, hearing "puppy + uninstall apps" neither describes what the new OS will do nor gives any instructions on how to do so. I came here for personalized help, though I understand I'm not paying anyone, so I don't mean to waste too much of your time.

That said, these are all interesting options to consider. @darry1966 , adrv is getting removed, would you recommend also removing puppy.sfs? Or would that remove too much?

Also, are there any advantages between the options given? Lite, lubuntu, fossapup?

@Ari32 -- You're not wasting anyone's time and no one is asking for filthy lucre.

Hardware question:
You said the machine is 'older.' Did it come with Win7 istalled or Win10? (UEFI may be a complication)

RE: fassapup -- the puppy.sfs is the main system, if I'm not mistaken, and is totally necessary.

When it says install under virtual machine, does it mean to layer minimalist ubuntu on top of windows/ubuntu? That sounds kinda hacky for a minimalist system, unless theres a VM that runs without an OS.
...or maybe a uefi compatibility package?
Or maybe bios mode is good enough? I've no clue

@sp331yi Yeah, messing with computer internals is never easy. I did read all three articles before coming here, but as someone who never used linux, hearing "puppy + uninstall apps" neither describes what the new OS will do nor gives any instructions on how to do so. I came here for personalized help, though I understand I'm not paying anyone, so I don't mean to waste too much of your time.

That said, these are all interesting options to consider. @darry1966 , adrv is getting removed, would you recommend also removing puppy.sfs? Or would that remove too much?

Also, are there any advantages between the options given? Lite, lubuntu, fossapup?
No removing puppy.sfs would leave you with a non-running system.

You're right -- don't use a Virtual Machine at this point. A 'bare metal' install is what you need, now. My bad.
Take a look here, instead

How to put the ISO on a USB stick will come later. @captain-sensible has a trick for that -- Ventoy (look here once you have downloaded your chosen distro for advice)

Last edited:

Members online