Solved: Making 1080p webcam running at 60 fps and UVC 1.5 support

Adam Przedniczek

Reaction score
Credits
I would like to upgrade my webcam to one offering FHD (1920x1080) resolution at 60 fps (actually running 60 fps) that has full support under Linux (I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 and Fedora 32) and as far as I know, I should look for a UVC 1.5 (USB video device class) compliant device.
However, I'm a bit worried about the conclusion of the following post: Logitech Streamcam not offering all modes on Manjaro

To make the long story short, on UVC Wikipedia there's stated that Linux only detects 1.5 devices without providing full capabilities, only trying to fall safe to 1.0 or 1.1 version. Does this statement still hold even in the newest kernel? Still we haven't got fully-fledged 1.5 UVC?

To sum up:
  1. Does the newest distros (like Ubuntu 20.04 or Fedora 32, even with kernel lifted to 5.6) have UVC 1.5 support, and if not how to patch it up? (Kernel 5.6 should give us early USB4 support, so good time to make riddance of all lacking features from the past.)
  2. Does we need the full 1.5 UVC support to have 1080p @ 60 fps or is there any workaround? (On https://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ it's stated that MJPEG payloads are already supported by current UVC implementation and the StreamCam from the aforementioned post supports it. So maybe, I should not insist on 1.5 version and it requires only a bit of tinkering in config?)

Well done !! :cool:

Members online

Latest posts