Make my Nvidia card go away!

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Can I disable a Nvidia card from the terminal prior to installation of a new distro? I am not a gamer and I don't have a need for the Nvidia card and it has caused me more grief than I would have ever imagined it would!

As an additional bit of info... I am working on setting up a multiboot system and currently have Ubuntu MATE and Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon installed. I disabled Nvidia in MATE without an issue and the system is functioning flawlessly so I decided to turn off Nvidia and use Intel instead in LM as well. Now, Mint isn't working at all, boots up but freezes shortly after. I have been trying to find a way to turn the Nvidia card back on and get back to a baseline but it's looking like I may just reinstall.

Hi Jeffrey, I started to look at this between #1 and #2. My Dell is AMD Radeon, but the Toshiba Satellite in the laundry is Intel-Nvidia.

The Toshiba is where I bottle my beer, a place of significant importance, and so I was going to take a look while I was bottling, but I may not get there until tomorrow.

To keep you going a little, one of the articles I found was this

https://www.linuxbabe.com/desktop-linux/switch-intel-nvidia-graphics-card-ubuntu

... and that was found with a Google of "linux how change default graphics card at startup"

Ubuntu has a few more tweaks up its sleeve than Mint in this regard, apparently.

I suppose a "palm to head" might be that perhaps you did not take a Timeshift snapshot before you started fiddling with Graphics, and I would suggest that that is a must. Hard to fix something if you can't see it (although it can be done).

You are on a learning curve so big your sneakers must be getting overworn on one side from leaning into the curve.

Cheers and it's Friday here so of course to all

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Thanks for the links! I did see that Ubuntu had some articles in their forums. I did have a timeshift but opted to re-install anyway because I wanted to shrink the LM partition and when I did it caused some sort of strange boot issue - and - I have become a virtual pro at re - installs over the past few weeks :confused:

I took a different approach this time and went with the nouveau driver instead of the the nvidia driver and so far the system is running smoothly!

That's great Mate :)

Nouveau, from our friends at xorg, is pretty good voodoo, in my experience.

Allegedly, from Gamers, there is a slight degradation in the 3D acceleration department, but I have been using it for 4 years and its always worked for me.

Wiz, possibly over and out.

Allegedly, from Gamers, there is a slight degradation in the 3D acceleration department, but I have been using it for 4 years and its always worked for me

Definitely not a gamer and I didn't even seek out a laptop with nvidia when I bought it! I just wanted a fast laptop w/ a 17.3 inch screen!!

Members online

Latest posts