Major issues installing MATE16.04 TLS via usb

derekb81

Reaction score
Credits
I need some help I recently crashed my Windows operating system I'd wipe the system it's my only computer my daughter uses it for school I am trying to install Linux but I'm running into a problem the only operating system I have to do any computing is hirens boot CD PE Windows 10 and it's a bare-bones strip down operating system with minimal drivers tons of applications but difficulty installing any of my own applications it keeps crashing freezing and rebooting it every time it does this I lose all of my work all of my programs that were installed or saved to the operating system are now deleted I just downloaded Ubuntu mate 16.04 TLS I'm trying to verify the checksum of the file or the sha256. Would you be so kind as to provide me with some instruction as I am about to pull all my hair out thank you very much in a pleasant

I need some help I recently crashed my Windows operating system I'd wipe the system it's my only computer
You need a working computer to download a Linux distro and create a bootable DVD or USB so that you can install the new Linux. If you are running on Hiren's Boot CD only... you cannot do this. Hiren's is a "rescue disk" and not able to process all the steps you need to make a Linux DVD or USB.

If I've read your post correctly, and you do not have a working computer... then you need to get a friend to help you to download Linux and burn a Linux DVD or USB. Or there are some places where you can buy a DVD or USB and have it mailed to you.

You should be careful about which Linux you try to get though. Not all of them will work with all computers. If you can tell us more about your dead Windows computer, maybe we can help guide you to make a good Linux choice. Tell us your computer's brand name, what model number, how much RAM it has, and what version of Windows was it running when it died. Do you know if it has a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU? If you don't know some of these questions, we can give you some instructions on how to find out when using the Hiren's Boot CD, but it might take some time between your replies to us and our replies back to you.

Having a computer-geek friend near you is your best bet, if you have such a friend.

Good luck!

It's a Dell Inspiron 15-5050, 16 gigs of Ram. It was running Windows 10 home edition 64bit. thankyou
You should be able to run any Linux. With some help, you could also download a fresh Windows 10 and make a USB with it, if you wanted that back instead. The methods are a little bit different, but the general process is download it, burn it to USB, boot it, and install it... Linux or Windows.

Linux Mint (either Mate or Cinnamon Editions) are good choices to replace Windows. But there are many others that will work equally well. Ubuntu is very popular, but again I would suggest the Mate Edition of Ubuntu as well. Mate and Cinnamon are the "desktop" variety, and there are many to choose from. Both of these are quite like Windows so they are easy for a new user to adapt to. Good luck!

Cheers

You should be able to run any Linux. With some help, you could also download a fresh Windows 10 and make a USB with it, if you wanted that back instead. The methods are a little bit different, but the general process is download it, burn it to USB, boot it, and install it... Li
You should be able to run any Linux. With some help, you could also download a fresh Windows 10 and make a USB with it, if you wanted that back instead. The methods are a little bit different, but the general process is download it, burn it to USB, boot it, and install it... Linux or Windows.

Is there a specific format that my BIOS needs to be configured in in order to boot Linux

With Ubuntu and Linux Mint, it is usually okay to leave BIOS settings alone (ie, UEFI vs Legacy, and Secure Boot). There are exceptions to this sometimes though. Dell may require to disable Secure Boot, but I would try without making any changes first.

Members online