Magazines

JenW

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with information on getting a snail mail magazine subscription for my son. I tried searching online for one but I don't know what's legit and what's not. Someone suggested Wire but I've never heard of it. He wants to learn more about white hat hacking and likes Linux. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Jen

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with information on getting a snail mail magazine subscription for my son. I tried searching online for one but I don't know what's legit and what's not. Someone suggested Wire but I've never heard of it. He wants to learn more about white hat hacking and likes Linux. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Jen

Hi Jen, and welcome to the site. I think the magazine you mentioned is "Wired" (rather than Wire). There are many magazines available, some in print and some digital, but I don't really have a recommendation. I jump around wherever Google leads me, so I read a lot of things all over the place.

A quick Google turned up this recently updated article that gives you a starting point for Linux magazines. But this Google search is more focused on computer security, which might find you some better material. I would guess that there is a lot of free stuff available too, at least to get started.... blogs, podcasts, even YouTube videos.

Good luck!

Hi Jen and welcome to linux.org :)

The timing of your question is appropriate, as 6th February is/was (depending on your locale) International Safer Internet Day :D

I am from DownUnder (Australia), so for me it was yesterday.

Stan's (@atanere 's) two links are excellent, IMO.

Not totally security-focused is the first one on the list in the first article, and that, Linux Format, or LXF, is my favourite. Their online presence at https://www.tuxradar.com/ will give you an idea of the sort of material they provide. Here in Oz, we can be a little starved for print material, and the cost can be prohibitive, because of the smaller market (24 million population).

I am a pensioner on a modest income, and LXF cost me AUD $19.95 at the newsstand. However LXF have Christmas and other "Special Deals", and a couple of years ago, I was able to get a subscription for 2 years, 26 issues, @ $8.50 per issue, delivered to my doorstep. I will be subscribing again soon.

Hope you and your son enjoy Linux, and enjoy your time here:D

Wizard

Like Wiz, I've been a subscriber to Linux Format (LXF) for a number of years too. I also pick up Linux User & Developer (LU&D) from time to time as well.

Both are great. They have regular coding tutorials and sections dedicated to tinkering with things like Arduino and Raspberry Pi, plus occasional tutorials on security/penetration-testing.

Linux Format is primarily aimed at beginner and intermediate users. Sometimes they cover more advanced topics, but their primary focus tends to be more on beginners.

LU&D is very similar, but the tutorials are usually aimed more towards intermediate to advanced users and less towards beginners. But beginners should have no problems following along with most of the features.

Another good magazine is Linux Voice, which is staffed by various ex-members of the LXF team. But I haven't seen that for a while. Not sure if they're still running! :/

Another good magazine is Linux Voice, which is staffed by various ex-members of the LXF team. But I haven't seen that for a while. Not sure if they're still running! :/

Nice one, Jas :)

They appear to still have an online presence here

https://www.linuxvoice.com/

... and they got acquired by a German group in October 2016. Not sure how the snail mail or newsstand availability is. A Google on "wikipedia linux voice" and "wikipedia linux magazine" reveals more.

Cheers

Wizard

Hey Jen, do let us know which one or other you opt for, and whether your son enjoys it?

We can always do with the feedback, and add it to our "Wiki". :p

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts