M.2 SSD issues, my first multi boot system, still rather new.

bradstone

Reaction score
Credits
I was hoping someone was able to give me a rough order in how to go about achieving my end goal.

I have: a new build with an unformatted Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 SSD - I've heard there are some issues with M.2 SSD's, I'm having some.

I want: a grub multi boot system with AP-Linux, SteamOS (for my Brother, I'm not big on games), and a I was hoping for a suggestion for a Media Centre Distro as a primary OS (LinHES seems to be the only active one, I'm not sure)

I've tried a few live USB's and I can't get anything to install, AP-Linux just goes to ROOTFS and I can't fdisk anything. LinHES runs but I can't select any drive to install to, GeeXBOX runs but has some odd screen reactions to any key press.

I'm not sure if it's a UEFI thing, a motherboard settings/Firmware thing, or an OS thing.

To show I've been thinking about it, my current plan for my next attempt is to learn about GParted, it looks like some sort of bootable disk management tool, either that or ubuntu might allow me to update the motherboard firmware and set up the SSD.

after that, I'm not sure how to go about GRUB, do I install it First? Second? Last?

I'd be grateful for some direction.

thanks.

Last edited:

Most of my systems run m.2 type NVME drives. Never had any problems with them.
No special setup, no special drivers, they just work.

What is the output of fdisk -l (lowercase L)

Ubuntu installed without a hitch.

it might be best to keep a partition for Ubuntu, seeing as it's, well, Ubuntu.

I still want a native install of AP-Linux, (without knowing it) it's what I built the machine for. there's also some custom code I need to figure out to reroute a couple of the channels on the soundcard I'm getting (if it even gets sent, nvm)

everything else I could live without, but I imagine since I'm going to the trouble for AP, I might as well repeat for the others.

do I deal with GRUB now or later?

what's a good partition program?

what's the current mediacentre distro? LinHES? GeeXBOX? somnething else?

Kodi, (What I use)
GeeXBox
OpenELEC
LibreELEC
LinuxMCE

I'm sure there are others.

I'm wondering if I could just get away with an AP-Linux Live install USB and plug the USB in and boot from it on the occasions I want to use that.

forget SteamOS, and a MC distro and just use a app like KODI on Ubuntu.

it does seem like a suitable option...

Members online

Latest posts