Lubuntu didn't like my Radeon card, can I expect a different distro to be any different?

rwmaho

Reaction score
Credits
I spent way too long entering commands into the terminal which I found on google.

I have a radeon R9 and nothing worked.

Should I try a different distro?

What did you mean by Lubuntu didn't like your Radeon card?

Did you not have a GUI at all? Did you have screen tearing?

What are the specs of your pc and how old is your pc?

> What did you mean by Lubuntu didn't like your Radeon card?

It said the current video card driver isn't working and I'm stuck in a little screen, like half the size of my actual screen.

It's a fairly modern gaming PC. I have 10gb of ram and an i7.

Anyways, I suspect it'd be easier to try a new distro than fix this one.

trying distro on a usb stick , which still uses(if it can) all your hardware is a good lateral thinking approach

The Catalyst Display Drivers on the AMD website worked well for me in the past.

Let us know if trying another distro works for you.

download and install the proprietary driver for your

It says there's missing pre-required files, but it doesn't tell me what they are or any error code. So I try to install some other Radeon software (hoping to get the prequired files) and that also won't install, saying there's missing pre-required files.

It says there's missing pre-required files, but it doesn't tell me what they are or any error code. So I try to install some other Radeon software (hoping to get the prequired files) and that also won't install, saying there's missing pre-required files.
Are there any other details about your Radeon R9 that you can give us?
Your GPU is just called a Radeon R9?
Is it the Sapphire 290X?

Pre required files could be missing dependencies (other libraries) OR> firmware files, if my thinking is right.

Last edited:
Last edited:
What distro are you running?

The most recent lubuntu, anyways it's really hard for me to fix anything when the screen isn't big enough & all the fonts are too small.

I've given up on lubuntu. Maybe I'll try that fedora linux next.

The most recent lubuntu, anyways it's really hard for me to fix anything when the screen isn't big enough & all the fonts are too small.

I've given up on lubuntu. Maybe I'll try that fedora linux next.
Sorry Lubuntu didn't work out for you.

Fedora is nice. I ran it for 3 years and never had a problem.

Your GPU is just called a Radeon R9?
Is it the Sapphire 290X?

I missed this comment.
All it says is "200 series." This is what CPU-z says and what radeon tools says.

This was a problem since I don't know which radeon driver to install, so I picked one of the newer ones and it failed.

Edit: found it. Gpu-z failed at first, but the "lookup" feature says I have a
R9 270X. So I'll try that driver.

Last edited:
I missed this comment.
All it says is "200 series." This is what CPU-z says and what radeon tools says.

This was a problem since I don't know which radeon driver to install, so I picked one of the newer ones and it failed.

Edit: found it. Gpu-z failed at first, but the "lookup" feature says I have a
R9 270X. So I'll try that driver.
Did that driver help?

> Did that driver help?

No. Still has errors about lacking dependent files. Oh well I'll try a different distro.

> Did that driver help?

No. Still has errors about lacking dependent files. Oh well I'll try a different distro.
Jeeeezse! I'd try another distro too.

Exactly what dependencies are missing?
And what error messages are you getting?
If you list the exact error messages here - somebody might be able to help you to install the missing dependencies and fix the problem!

Exactly what dependencies are missing?
And what error messages are you getting?
If you list the exact error messages here - somebody might be able to help you to install the missing dependencies and fix the problem!
Unfortunately, in post #7 it's not telling him what dependencies are missing and it's also not returning an error code.

I looked on AMD's website for the driver and it's for Ubuntu 14.04 which is no longer supported.

I wonder if because it's such a new gaming pc that there isn't a driver from AMD yet?

Yes "AMDGPU pro" installed, and after that the other driver (specifically for the RX 270) still errored. But that's okay, this seems to be good enough.

Yes "AMDGPU pro" installed, and after that the other driver (specifically for the RX 270) still errored. But that's okay, this seems to be good enough.
So is everything working correctly?

Members online