Lubuntu (and I presume Ubuntu) has released 22.04.2...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's a point release, another stable point in time - like a bit of a snapshot, saving people from upgrading from the older 22.04. These releases come out fairly often.

This is for Lubuntu:

Lubuntu is Ubuntu, just with different default applications from the same repositories. Also, Lubuntu doesn't have its own sub-forum and this means Ubuntu should have released their point release as well...

Hmm... Yes, 22.04.2 is available from Ubuntu as well:

Yes Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Released

The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Long-Term Support) for its Desktop, Server, and Cloud products, as well as other flavours of Ubuntu with long-term support.

As usual, this point release includes many updates and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-severity bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. 22.04.2 also brings new RISC-V platform support, providing fresh images for the LicheeRV and PolarFire Icicle Kit boards.

Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu Budgie 22.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu MATE 22.04.2 LTS, Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu Kylin 22.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu Studio 22.04.2 LTS, and Xubuntu 22.04.2 LTS are also now available. More details can be found in their individual release notes (see ‘Official flavours’):

What's more, Lubuntu was a team that followed all rules :), thus the Lubuntu annoucement was NOT pasted before Ubuntu's messages were up. (Timing wise I'm referring to the ML post quoted at the bottom of the fridge post; the fridge review procedures cause delay with that.. though the ML post that is what teams (like Lubuntu) also wait for was delayed itself due to review issues..)

There are some differences when installing with Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; as installs with that media (and subsequent respins of jammy) will have the installed system default to using the HWE kernel stack. Installs made with prior Lubuntu 22.04 or 22.04.1 media defaulted to using the GA kernel stack by default.. This applies to other flavors of Ubuntu too, but differs to Ubuntu Desktop which defaults to HWE for all media, or Ubuntu Server which defaults to GA for all. For more detail if you're not aware of what I'm talking about, please read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack or just ask me.

will have the installed system default to using the HWE kernel stack.

For my own understanding, that change is with the .1 point release and then subsequent point releases?

For my own understanding, that change is with the .1 point release and then subsequent point releases?
Ubuntu 22.04.1 was released in August 2022, or a few months after the initial 22.04 release as per normal schedule; ie. well before kinetic kernel freeze (Sept 22) which is normal for LTS releases, thus work on moving the HWE kernel to the prior LTS may not have actually started at that point, or if it has it's in the early stages - thus no .1 (any prior release anyway) has included HWE components; that's always at the .2

(ie. the HWE kernel stack for the LTS release comes from the later releases; ie. jammy 5.19 was the kinetic 5.19 as why do the work twice?)

Will it remain this way; I have no crystal ball or blue police box so cannot say, but I see no reason for that to change.

The big deal with .1 really is that after that release; the taps for release-upgrade are turned on, and users of the prior LTS release can release-upgrade to it... ie. https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-lts-development gets changed.

(I bolded the after as that edit isn't done until the Ubuntu Release team have meeting(s) and consider any release-upgrade blocker bugs that still exist; making the edit only once they believe they've been addressed.. thus the word after is key)

FYI: I viewed a local Lubuntu 22.04.1 .manifest file [2022-08-09] & no HWE references are enclosed, I'd like to include a link to one online, but Canonical/Ubuntu only keep the latest for flavors like us & http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/jammy/ only shows Ubuntu Desktop which has very different contents with regard kernel stack to flavors (and I won't look for one sorry (no-one has requested Phil to upload any to https://phillw.net/isos/lubuntu/ which is often where I go... I'm not sure if you know the history there though).

thus no .1 (any prior release anyway) has included HWE components; that's always at the .2

That explains it more than well enough. Thanks!

(and I won't look for one sorry (no-one has requested Phil to upload any to https://phillw.net/isos/lubuntu/ which is often where I go... I'm not sure if you know the history there though).

Only what I've picked up in chat. I am okay with what I don't know. That was (mostly) before my time.

What is missing from the announcements is how ordinary people upgrade their Ubuntu installations to the new 22.04.2 LTS from their current Ubuntu installations in the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS series. I will try to explain:

There is good information on how to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS from older versions of Ubuntu such as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or 18.04 LTS, for example. I had been running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I upgraded it to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and from there, upgraded it again to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. It worked fine, no problems or issues. A few months ago, I wiped it and started over with a clean Ubuntu 22.04.1 installation, and that is the Ubuntu I am running now.

-> What is missing are instructions informing people how they should upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04.2 if they started with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS or Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, like me.

The upgrade happens automatically through the normal software update process, which should be performed regularly. Users can choose between the Software Updater application in the GUI or through "apt update" and then "apt upgrade" in the command line. It may be obvious to you and other experienced users, but it is not apparent to everyone.

My point is that nobody says that in the official announcements. It is not documented anywhere that I could find in web searches. It may be intuitive and obvious to y'all, but I could not find it explicitly stated anywhere that I looked. I checked the version I was running, and the first place I looked (/proc/version) said "22.04.1" which was the original installation. It was bad luck that I chose /proc/version first ... every other source on my system shows "22.04.2", which is correct.

What is missing from the announcements is how ordinary people upgrade their Ubuntu installations to the new 22.04.2 LTS from their current Ubuntu installations in the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS series. I will try to explain:

There is good information on how to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS from older versions of Ubuntu such as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or 18.04 LTS, for example. I had been running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I upgraded it to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and from there, upgraded it again to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. It worked fine, no problems or issues. A few months ago, I wiped it and started over with a clean Ubuntu 22.04.1 installation, and that is the Ubuntu I am running now.

-> What is missing are instructions informing people how they should upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04.2 if they started with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS or Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, like me.

The upgrade happens automatically through the normal software update process, which should be performed regularly. Users can choose between the Software Updater application in the GUI or through "apt update" and then "apt upgrade" in the command line. It may be obvious to you and other experienced users, but it is not apparent to everyone.

My point is that nobody says that in the official announcements. It is not documented anywhere that I could find in web searches. It may be intuitive and obvious to y'all, but I could not find it explicitly stated anywhere that I looked. I checked the version I was running, and the first place I looked (/proc/version) said "22.04.1" which was the original installation. It was bad luck that I chose /proc/version first ... every other source on my system shows "22.04.2", which is correct.
You appear to be quoting from somewhere... (esp. the bold), but I'm unsure where; sorry but I missed it.

With the Ubuntu Fridge notice; what I paste is only a slightly massaged version of the official ML post; I cannot change any wording (even when I note there are errors! I can only report so it hopefully doesn't re-occur next time) except within specific & extremely limited rules (that I follow). I post there only within the rules as a Ubuntu News team member, and Fridge Editor (and I stick to Ubuntu News rules for release type posts; why I've made posts with bad URLs in the past).

With regards the Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS release announcement, I personally think it was covered in this text found on https://lubuntu.me/jammy-2-released/ KGIII pasted a link to

If you do system updates regularly, you are already running Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, and if you install Lubuntu on a system using a Lubuntu 22.04 LTS image and do system updates, that system will also then be running Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS.

with that text being found in the "What’s The Difference Between Lubuntu 22.04 LTS And This Release?" area. If you believe the text on the Lubuntu release could be improved, please let me or KGIII know and we can suggest it for subsequent re-releases (eg. 22.04.3, 22.04.4...) as we both have say there (I can also probably correct that post too).

Both KGIII & myself probably have say on modifying documentation too, but I'd have to know where to make changes to investigate what authority I have, and if I wanted to touch it OR just file a bug report suggesting a documentation change (I made my last such documentation bug report only yesterday as consequence of a user being confused by something outdated in a web page).

Actually no, it is my own opinion that I wrote myself, including the bold text. I looked at the Ubuntu announcement, not Lubuntu, so I missed @KGIII's statement that you quoted.

In addition to reading Canonical's announcement and other documentation on the Ubuntu website, I also performed web searches with DuckDuckGo and Google, looking for the same information. Those were the sources behind my post.

I may have missed it somewhere in Ubuntu's announcements or documentation - it was my hope that someone like you would respond and show me where it is documented.

I have not tried Lubuntu (yet) nor read its separate documentation. I knew this thread started with Lubuntu, but the title said, "... (and I presume Ubuntu) ...". I assumed that my comments applied to all the variants generally. Thank you for pointing out KGIII's statement related to Lubuntu, but if the same information is documented for Ubuntu, I could not find it.

Actually no, it is my own opinion that I wrote myself, including the bold text. I looked at the Ubuntu announcement, not Lubuntu, so I missed @KGIII's statement that you quoted.
Thanks for that, sorry I missed that.

In addition to reading Canonical's announcement and other documentation on the Ubuntu website, I also performed web searches with DuckDuckGo and Google, looking for the same information. Those were the sources behind my post.

I may have missed it somewhere in Ubuntu's announcements or documentation - it was my hope that someone like you would respond and show me where it is documented.
I agree with you here, however I'm going to fall short here I'm afraid.

It's my belief that such documentation exists. where did I learn what I know except from documentation I wonder? however where is it? The fact that I don't know probably makes your point stronger, or proves it, despite my belief documentation does exist.

On another screen I just performed 3 searches on startpage (`how to upgrade site:*.ubuntu.com` etc) and I get all the various pages I'm aware of & have had links for on release announcements (ie. instructions on release-upgrades from a prior release), but not what you're asking for.

I'm tired, but I've drawn a blank and can't think of what to try after those three searches. My belief is you already know the answer, but I'll write you something anyway.

Your Ubuntu release is year.month in format, and has a codename. For the Ubuntu release of 2022-April that means your release is 22.04 (2000 is subtracted from the year). It's codename is jammy, which you may not need to know, but if you adjust your sources or other technical tasks, you'll see the codename somewhat often.

Your release will remain that (22.04 & jammy) for as long as you need that release.

As that release reaches various 'point release' milestones, different respins of newer ISOs will occur, but installed users need take no notice of this, as they'll receive those updates in advance of the ISO being released. The first upgraded ISO is titled Ubuntu 22.04.1, the second Ubuntu 22.04.2 etc. The final scheduled ISO is Ubuntu 22.04.5 (but do note if more respins are required for various reasons, they may occur beyond 22.04.5).

Performing normal upgrades (`sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade`) is all that is required to upgrade. The purpose of these new respins, or ISOs it that new installs using this newer media, will require fewer upgrades after installation.

Ubuntu LTS releases have two primary kernel stack choices, the default stack selected by your installation media used (not covered here sorry, please refer..), but if you're using the HWE or hardware enablement stack kernel you'll upgrade to a later kernel at the .2, .3, .4, and .5 'point release' milestones. There will be no change if using using the GA kernel stack.

I've quoted it for highlighting purposes only... The quality of that is poor I fear, as I just sat & quickly typed it out without any planning etc. If it's of benefit (@KGIII your thoughts?) we could review/rework & maybe add it to Lubuntu docs, but I'd not want to add it to Ubuntu documentation until I knew it wasn't there already (which I'm convinced it is, I just didn't find it!). Maybe I'm thinking of the Ubuntu Manual Project documentation? as alas that didn't survive the return to GNOME (Ubuntu 17.04 the last release with Unity 7, it required a big re-write with the return of GNOME which never completed).

I have not tried Lubuntu (yet) nor read its separate documentation. I knew this thread started with Lubuntu, but the title said, "... (and I presume Ubuntu) ...". I assumed that my comments applied to all the variants generally. Thank you for pointing out KGIII's statement related to Lubuntu, but if the same information is documented for Ubuntu, I could not find it.

I consider my Lubuntu systems as Ubuntu ones. I actually love many desktops, don't mind a bloated system, thus my primary machine has multiple desktops installed.. If I was to jump to terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and type `lsb_release -a` it would report it's a "Ubuntu lunar lobster (development branch)" release.... if I was using it anyway... It's late at night, and I'm using a different box that is running "Debian bookworm/sid" so I won't do that right now...

All package upgrade tools for all flavors, just like the release-upgrader-tool is the same for all, and its a Ubuntu base tool. The only thing unique in that regard for flavors is the GUI notifier, which is specific to the desktop being used - ie. each flavor can require a different tool for this, but it's a notifier only.

Summary: Lubuntu is a Ubuntu system. My 2c anyway.

I think the bolded statement that I wrote above answers what I was looking for reasonably well. If anyone from Ubuntu or Lubuntu or another flavor wants to use it for their documentation, feel free to copy or modify it to suit your purposes, without attribution.

The upgrade happens automatically through the normal software update process, which should be performed regularly. Users can choose between the Software Updater application in the GUI or through "apt update" and then "apt upgrade" in the command line.

(I doubt this statement is necessary, but I will write it anyway: "I release everything that I post on Linux.org to the public domain." -- Sphen )

If it's of benefit (@KGIII your thoughts?) we could review/rework & maybe add it to Lubuntu docs, but I'd not want to add it to Ubuntu documentation until I knew it wasn't there already (which I'm convinced it is, I just didn't find it!).

On one hand, I'd consider it common knowledge - and the system prompts the user to upgrade unless they've put some effort into stopping those prompts. There's a subset that refuse to apply updates and we know how I'd feel about those folks.

On the other hand, a reminder to update wouldn't be a bad thing. Who knows? It might sway some people into keeping their system updated.

On one hand, I'd consider it common knowledge ...
Not common knowledge for me, but a reasonable assumption. I could not find anything that confirmed it in writing online. My mistake was searching the documentation first, rather than examining my own installation. Once I checked the version on my installed Ubuntu, I knew. As you saw above, I felt that a simple statement should have been included with Ubuntu's point release announcement. Looking back again, I found this in Canonical's announcement of 22.04.2 "Ubuntu Fridge":
"Users of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will be offered an automatic upgrade to 22.04.2 LTS via Update Manager."
Source:
https://fridge.ubuntu.com/2023/02/24/ubuntu-22-04-2-lts-released/

I did not remember being offered an automatic upgrade, so I downloaded 22.04.1 again and installed it. During installation, I unchecked (disabled) "Download updates while installing Ubuntu". I opened a terminal window and saw this after the initial installation:
Code:
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"

I ran Software Updater and saw the message "Updated software has been issued since Ubuntu 22.04 was released. Do you want to install it now?" (641.3 MB) It was a long list. I looked through the long list, and inspected a few "Changes" and "Description" for possible candidates. There was no mention of a point or version upgrade, nor "version 22.04.02". I clicked the Install button in Software Updater.

Here is what I found after launching the Software Updater application:
Code:
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
Code:
$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 5.19.0-32-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-026) (x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc
(Ubuntu 11.3.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38)
#33~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jan 30 17:03:34 UTC 2
Note: Line breaks added by me for readability here. The output was a single line. Note the "22.04.1".

Bottom line:
The upgrade to the new point release happens automatically, but the Software Updater application does not "offer" or mention a version change or version upgrade to a new point release.

Not common knowledge for me, but a reasonable assumption. I could not find anything that confirmed it in writing online. My mistake was searching the documentation first, rather than examining my own installation. Once I checked the version on my installed Ubuntu, I knew. As you saw above, I felt that a simple statement should have been included with Ubuntu's point release announcement. Looking back again, I found this in Canonical's announcement of 22.04.2 "Ubuntu Fridge":

Source:
https://fridge.ubuntu.com/2023/02/24/ubuntu-22-04-2-lts-released/

I did not remember being offered an automatic upgrade, so I downloaded 22.04.1 again and installed it. ....

I'm glad your found something in in the fridge post, though somewhat disappointed I'd not pointed it out (if you look at that post it was me who prepared/posted it). As I'd stated in a prior post, I minimally adjust the text from the ML post, as any changes/corrections are not done on current announcement (it's too late once ML has gone out) just noted so the error isn't made in subsequent announcements.

This is mostly FYI... but the 22.04.2 detail is found in `base-files`

- https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy-updates/base-files

with the changelog viewable via (for jammy)

- https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/b/base-files/base-files_12ubuntu4.3/changelog

ie. you'll note these changes

Code:
base-files (12ubuntu4.3) jammy; urgency=medium

* /etc/issue{,.net}, /etc/{lsb,os}-release: bump version to 22.04.2

-- Åukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak <[email protected]>  Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:02:32 +0100

base-files (12ubuntu4.2) jammy; urgency=medium

* /etc/issue{,.net}, /etc/{lsb,os}-release: bump version to 22.04.1

-- Paride Legovini <[email protected]>  Thu, 28 Jul 2022 17:29:51 +0200

That package gets changed just prior to the ISO reaching RC (Release Candidate) state, which is usually the Friday-Sunday (if late it'll be the Monday my local time but I'm AEST so UTC+10) before the scheduled date for the ISO release. That package is the last package changed which means all upgrades that will be included in that 'release' are already installed (for existing installations).

ie. it's normal package upgrades that change it, with the release remaining jammy or 22.04.

Well done for working it out, and thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Members online