Lubuntu 18.04.5 32 bits sound pop, stutering and increasing and decreasing volume

aug7744

Reaction score
Credits
Hello.
Machine Pentium M 2 GHZ 2 GB RAM Lubuntu 18.04.5
The sound is displayed in windows being Sigmatel and in Linux ICH6 AC'97.
The sound works with problems in any software from media player to web browse.
The sound pops with noise, stutering and increasing and decreasing volume mainly in voices.
Playing youtube videos have noise and pops and when has voice the increasing and decreasing volume extremely. Play fine with few pops if the video not has voices (tested with Pink Panther cartoons).
When happen the problem the CPU usage is below of 75 %.
Not problems in sound speaker because using windows in same machine not has any issues.
Thanks for reply.

Your computer isn't going to run Lubuntu rapidly. That doesn't explain the popping sound.

Could you run "sudo lshw -C sound" in the terminal and share the output wrapped in the code tags for readability purposes?

The problem happen even if CPU usage is below of 50 %.

*-multimedia
descrição: Multimedia audio controller
produto: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
fabricante: Intel Corporation
ID físico: 1e.2
informações do barramento: pci@0000:00:1e.2
versão: 03
largura: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capacidades: pm bus_master cap_list
configuração: driver=snd_intel8x0 latency=0
recursos: irq:16 porta de E/S:ed00(tamanho=256) porta de E/S:ec40(tamanho=64) memória:dffffe00-dfffffff memória:dffffd00-dffffdff

A quick search indicates that that driver should be already in the Linux kernel, though it's a bit old.

I wonder if maybe the distro removed that, due to the age, to make the kernel lighter. They don't compile/distribute everything in the kernel - always/all of them.

Lubuntu is pretty good about having drivers for older stuff.

You can run 'sudo modprobe hda_intel' in the terminal and see the output from that.

Then, I have this link for you:

That'll help you troubleshoot. I don't have anything on-hand that old to test against. Some of the others have some older hardware and may be able to help you further.

Moving this to Audio/Video folks.

Wizard