[Lubuntu 13.10] Module for AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)

B

balubeto

Hi
I installed Lubuntu 13.10 32-bit on a notebook and, using the command lspci -k, the analog modem is detected in this way:
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1816
Someone could indicate what package I should install to make sure that Linux has the module suitable to handle it properly?
Thanks
Bye

Do you really intend to use a dial-up modem?

Do you not intend to use broadband and a router and maybe wifi?

Do you really intend to use a dial-up modem?

Do you not intend to use broadband and a router and maybe wifi?

The problem is that I really have to use the analog modem since my home on vacation has only an analog connection. So, could you help me?

Thanks

Bye

If you need a modem, then you may need to buy a real modem.

What you have is a winmodem (or softmodem - same thing) - which is in fact not a modem.

A winmodem is in fact a very simple sound card - the modem itself is a piece of software - hence softmodem - written for... windows. Getting these working used to be impossible, things have changed a bit over the years and now it's possible in some cases, so you will have to research it to see if it's an option for you...

So you really have two options:

1. Buy a real RS232 (serial bus) modem

2. http://linmodems.org/

And connect up with pppd, etc. (you will find numerous guides to connecting using a modem on the web)

I used a modem several years ago. If I "Google" the links I find are mostly years old.

INTERNAL modems can be a problem because many of them were made for Windows. There were terms like Winmodem/Linmodem/Soft modem.

EXTERNAL SERIAL modems all seem to work out-of-the-box.

The problem with both kinds is that your phone is engaged, so people cannot phone in and you can't phone out while you are using it.

Can you get a mobile phone signal there? Would you be better to use a pay-as-you-go mobile broadband dongle?

In practice, the proper procedure to install the analog modem is:

1) sudo apt-get install sl-modem-daemon sl-modem-source

2) sudo depmod -a

3) sudo modprobe slamr

4) sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

5) sudo vwdialconf

Thanks

Bye

Staff online

Members online