LSF - Kernel boot hangs

Electric_Pulse

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to boot into my LFS system - grub works, the kernel loads but neither fstab (I purposefully deleted it - no effect) nor Sysvinit seem to get loaded (no log of the launching of services). The kernel hangs on "Skipping autodetecting of RAID arrays ..." - the raid=autodetect/noautodetect flag also has no effect.

No tty's get spawned and no syslogs are created so I am kind of confused on how a person is supposed to debug this, do you have any advice?

Details:
- LFS 11.2
- UEFI
- architecture: x86_64

Electric_Pulse wrote:
fstab (I purposefully deleted it
Unless I'm not understanding something, please forgive my ignorance, but I wonder how a system can run when it is not informed by fstab as to what to mount, and hence make those mounted filesystems become available to the user?

Electric_Pulse wrote:

Unless I'm not understanding something, please forgive my ignorance, but I wonder how a system can run when it is not informed by fstab as to what to mount, and hence make those mounted filesystems become available to the user?
I wanted to test if the system will react to no fstab being present (kernel panic) - it didn't so I deduced it got caught up in one of the earlier steps before even launching inittab.

Solution: Since I am compiling lfs on a M.2 nvme I had to enable nvme support for my kernel

LFS is undoubtedly a major learning experience. Kudos for taking that route.

Members online

Latest posts