Low disk space on HDD...here I go again.

M

marthamydear

Without belaboring the points made in my previous threads describing a low disk space pop up alert, suffice it to say I DBAN'd my hard drive and installed from CD a clean copy of Linux Mint 15. All has been fine until last night when I ran Bleachbit. After the program ran I got the familiar "low disk space" alert telling me I only had15 MB or so remaining. I've loaded very little on my computer and am NOT dual booting. Windows is no longer a part of my life.

Here's my d -h cut-and-paste:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 37G 5.6G 29G 17% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 229M 8.0K 229M 1% /dev
tmpfs 49M 940K 48M 2% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 245M 76K 244M 1% /run/shm
none 100M 40K 100M 1% /run/user

Ideas? Any and all would be most appreciated. Thanks.

There is an application called xdiskusage which will give a graphical indication of what's soaking up disk space. That's the first thing you need to do - find out where your space is going.

xdiskusage.sourceforge.net/

Well, I kind of thought it was "The Thing to Do." I know this is not Windows but when I ran Windows I cleaned cookies all the time and performance seemed to improve. After doing a search on the Linux forum I saw some recommendations for Bleachbit so installed it and ran it. (By the way, thanks for your link to the DO NOT USE BLEACHBIT posting but unfortunately other than the title there is nothing on the page nor are the 8 comments that evidently were made shown. Probably another goofy-ism of this computer.

Anyway...I removed WINE and since I did my computer seems more responsive to commands. I also downloaded Grumpy Old Man's xdiskusage and ran it (thanks GOM). WINE really filled up my " /" partition...so maybe that was the problem.

Bleachbit has given me grief in the past - to the extent that it has totally broken a system. It will be a long time untill I might try it again.

With Linux Mint you should be alright with the commands:
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

Cookies are not really a problem. I *think* I am correct in saying that temporary files are removed when you switch off your computer.

Never use cleaning applications
2. With cleaning applications like Computer Janitor or Bleachbit, you easily destroy more than you want. You can't trust them, because before you know it, they remove too much and damage the system.

Besides, they are useless. Linux hardly experiences any pollution. So cleaning is superfluous. You may at most win a couple of hundreds of megabytes disk space, at an unacceptably high risk of damage. Should you wish to clean up a bit anyway, then this is a safe way.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/fatalmistakes

"How to clean up Ubuntu" - https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/clean

Well Arochester...you didn't lead me astray when I did my switchover a week or so ago and I know you're giving me good info now. (I am still grateful for that DBAN suggestion.)
Anyway, thank you for the SUDO commands and indeed you have made a believer out of me and I am uninstalling Bleachbit now.
Thanks a lot.

Members online