lost wifi

C

charolenne

Mint on thumb drive...windows will not boot am finding my way around mint..EXCEPT I HAVE LOST WIFI CONNECTION. ?. Cannot use tutorials..no wifi... help.

Did you have wifi and then it has gone? Or did you not have it with Linux?

Open a Terminal. Input:
lspci
and/or
lsusb

What is the output? Can you connect with cable? Can you copy and paste here?

Thank you will try..I believe I had it until windows totally died..

Let's start with the simplest first. Please excuse me for asking such a question, but do you have a wireless NIC on this computer? You can check that like such from a terminal as root:

Code:
lspci | grep -i "wireless"

on my desktop the output looks a such:
05:01.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3060 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R

I have a Ralink RT3060 Wireless NIC

If this is a usb modem try:
Code:
lsusb | grep -i "wireless"

If we can pass test 1 than we have a wireless card so let's go to test 2. Is wireless enabled? A simple check in the System Tray and click on the wireless icon and make certain that the check box "Enable Wireless" is selected. Also, on some laptops you can enable/disable wireless from the keyboard. It's normally a key combination like <fn><f2>. Press and hold the 'fn' key while pressing the 'f2' key. Just look for the key with a little wireless tower on it. But there should be a backlite on some kind to show that wireless is indeed enabled on the laptop.

If we pass test 2 than we have a NIC, it's enabled so let's see if it's working even the least bit. As root type:
Code:
iwconfig wlan0

If you get something like this
Code:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
Your good! So let's see if we can scan some access points:
Code:
iwlist wlan0 scan

On my computer some of the output would be as such
Code:
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: BLAH BLAH
                    Channel:11
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                    Quality=70/70  Signal level=-30 dBm  
                    Encryption key:on
                    ESSID:"BLAHBLAH"
If we can get this far we know Wireless is working and if we still can't connect it's a problem in our Network Manager. Try scanning for access points with your Network Manager. Is anything showing up? If not the problem is the network manager you're using doesn't support the type of wifi access point you're trying to connect to. Yes I have ran into that problem. KNetwork Manager with a pre 3.x Kernel always gives me problems with mobile hotspots like T-Mobile and Cricket. If this is the case try using the network manager 'wicd'. That might work ???

If you're getting scan results with your Network Manager and still not connecting make sure you typed the password correct and also, make sure the encryption type in your Network Manager is set to the same type as the access point. i.e wep or wpa2

Now if we failed Test 2 and got no ouTput from either iwconfig or iwlist we probable have a driver issue so let's go back to test 1 and type as root in your terminal:
Code:
lspci | grep -i wireless

My output was
05:01.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3060 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R
Select and copy the first part. In my output it's the "05:01.0" part.

Now type:
Code:
lspci -vv -s [I]<your Number code>[/I] | grep driver[CODE]

i.e mine would be like:
[CODE]lspci -vv -s 05:01.0 | grep -i driver

My output is as such:
Kernel driver in use: rt2800pci

The driver I'm using is rt2800pci

If you fail to get any output than we have a driver issue. Post the output of the lspci | grep -i wireless command and maybe we can help you find the driver you're going to need.

Sometimes wireless with Linux is tricky. Sometimes wireless with Linux is easy. But wireless with Linux is always possible. The trick is don't give up.

Hope this helped.

I tried to connect my laptop with my cellphone via wifi tethering but it is showing some troubles..i don't know what's the issue.can anyone help me around with this.

@Mohanasmith

Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by sticking your problem on the end. Please start a new thread of your own.

Note that you have told us nothing about your laptop, your distro and your cellphone and provider...

Am completely new to mint..have been spoiled lazy widows user...my laptop is a acer inspire one...winxp told to upload ubuntu. ....did that..windows crashed..unbuntu didn't boot...took it to a tech..reloaded win xp and he put mint on a thumb drive..4 times I used 5he computer ein xp and connected to 5he wireless router. ? Then nothing..windows would not boot..can boot mint with thumb drive but cannot connect to internet..cannot ask intelligent questions because I sm completely new to the language..

cannot ask intelligent questions because I sm completely new to the language..
You seem to know what you are talking about. ;)

Your laptop "Should" have Atheros wireless. If so the kernel should have the correct drivers. So, some options might be the Acer one Patches. Double checking that the correct drivers are in use. Etc. Here is a document that should help:
http://www.linurs.org/pdf/Aspire one.pdf

Just wondering, how are you posting this if you have no internet?

This is moreso as a note for myself in the future as this was one of the posts I that popped up when looking into this problem::::
***************************************************************************************
** So I had performed some updates on my Debian 9 system and I ended up losing my wireless connection. After a lot of online search suggestions, I was able to figure out how to get it working for the most part. The following is the trail which led me to getting back my wireless connection. I have formatted the post for legibility and hope everything will progressively make sense.
***************************************************************************************
sudo iw dev
phy#0
Interface wlp4s0
ifindex 3
wdev 0x1
addr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
type managed
txpower 0.00 dBm
multicast TXQ:
qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows drops marks overlmt hashcoltx-bytes tx-packets
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00
###### iw dev showed my wireless adapter name 'wlp4s0'; the name can vary depending on the the device. Will need this name for later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ip address
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp4s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
###### this showed that 'wlp4s0' was still retrievable by the ip util; it also showed that its current state was 'DOWN' when we want it as 'UP'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sudo ip link set dev wlp4s0 up
###### Running this should make the device work. Nothing outputted and it didnt work.
sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces
###### Using the editor of choice, I entered/edited the router/modem SSID/Pass into the config file.
sudo service wpa_supplicant restart
###### restarted 'WifiProtectedAccess' service
sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp4s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
###### asked it to refer to a config I had edited before all this for the wifi interface
sudo ifdown wlp4s0
Killed old client process
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.4.1
Copyright 2004-2018 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlp4s0/aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
Sending on LPF/wlp4s0/aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
Sending on Socket/fallback
###### Brought the interface down... relax, going to restart it.
sudo ifup wlp4s0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.4.1
Copyright 2004-2018 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlp4s0/aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
Sending on LPF/wlp4s0/aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlp4s0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlp4s0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPOFFER of 192.168.0.17 from 192.168.0.1
DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.17 on wlp4s0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK of 192.168.0.17 from 192.168.0.1
bound to 192.168.0.17 -- renewal in 40264 seconds.
###### Brought the interface back up- sometimes it takes a few moments of anxiety; The end result shows it worked.
================================================================================
sudo ifdown -a
sudo ifup wlp4s0
sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp4s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
###### Moving forward, if rebooting and still no wifi- the above three commands bring wifi back up; This isn't a solid fix, but is more like a patch to the real problem. Wifi should be starting up on its own. I could enter this as a startup script- but the startup setup meant to deal with this is most likely reset/blank/deleted somewhere. Maybe check xinit or something?

I understand what you are saying, but would it not be better to save this Thread to your computer and accompany it with your personal notes?

As it stands, you are addressing a Thread over 9 years old, have not exactly said that you have a support issue you have been unable to solve, and if so, only muddy the waters with not being the Original Poster here.

By all means start your own Thread if need be, and link to this one.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz