Lost Vivaldi Browser After updating PoP!_OS (22.04)

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
I've lost the vivaldi browser after updating to 22.04. Where did it go? I need to recover it's passwords and bookmarks, where are they usually located?

P.S.: Discord is also gone. What the hell is going on with this version?

Do you still have ~/.config/vivaldi? Note that it's a hidden directory, but you probably knew that.

Yeah its all still there. I have the capability to reinstall vivaldi using a totally different procedure with the vivaldi dev team's own repositories.
The question is what will happen when I do that? I don't want to lose my bookmarks, passwords, and the digital ID to access my web bank.

The question also remains - what did the update do with the files? Are the files that pertain to my missing stuff still there? If yes, than I have a hell of a mess to clean up!

Do you have Timeshift installed/set up ?

A backup of any kind ?

Last edited:
I'd make a copy of that directory, and then install Vivaldi to see if everything is as you expect it to be.

Try that first.

If that doesn't work, install Vivaldi, open it, close it, and replace the directory you backed up, and then start Vivaldi.

Do you have Timeshift installed/set up ?

A backup of any kind ?
You don't understand, its not that any files are missing, some are all still there, and that is part of the problem. The M.2 where PoP!_OS is located is only 128GB (Its so old that it was called M.2 rev3 prototype, that is, like, 8 years ago lol, but still fast AF for its age), and I don't want clutter on the primary drive.

Now I'll have to do a complete inventory of whether the files of things that are missing. We're talking about bean counting levels of sortiment. Its inappropriate for a platform as awesome as linux is.
And no, I am not going to leave linux for this minor inconvenience. Its the first thing that pissed me off after a year since I first started using it. Windows usually does that after 5 minutes while I wait for microsoft's committee to decide whether its time to load in them' startup programs.

I have the capability to reinstall vivaldi using a totally different procedure with the vivaldi dev team's own repositories.
The question is what will happen when I do that?

I'll have more on that for you on my tomorrow

Its inappropriate for a platform as awesome as linux is.

Bear in mind that Pop!_OS is not from the general Linux community, it is owned and developed by System 76, a computer company. So there are some deviations from the norm, in terms of how updates are delivered.

I'll ask a question of you, and that is -

In your Home folder/partition, do you have a folder called snap? That may change the direction I take.

Hang in there, and in the meantime, I would do the following -

Code:
cp -R ~/.config/vivaldi ~/Documents/

as an example to save that folder and its contents.

Cheers

Chris

Also I would recommend if you get Vivaldi going again that you use their sync function and sync your data. It a very good tool and saves all your bookmarks and passwords in secure storage. That way you can always be sure your important bookmarks are saved in case this happens again.
You may also be interested in deb-get a non official repository that will install vivaldi with the deb-get command and automatically update it when needed. you can install deb-get from this link.

Members online