Lost graphics

Dave H

Reaction score
Credits
I am a Linux newb, so please forgive me.
I am running Debian Wheezy with LinuxCNC. I installed a new monitor and was trying to optimize the graphic settings. I accidentally clicked a check box that said something like "Use these settings" while setting resolution and refresh rate in Xfce. That unchecked the box and left me with a blank screen, and the "No Signal" message on the screen.
It gets as far as letting me log in, then the blank screen/no signal.

Is there a way I can reset/repair this without a full re-install of the OS?

Ys you just have to boot your PC into the recovery-mode.

You start your PC and if you see the debian boot screen you have to press esc/shift. Then you´re in the Grub menu, the reovery mode is easy to find.

Ok, thank you. So I think I am there. I see: root@dave:~#

Is there a boot file I can edit to add "startxfce4" to? Or something similar?

So, I set up a second user profile on this machine. Everything works fine. No problem with losing the desktop after login as with my original user. It would seem to me that it has something to do with the original user profile settings?? The original user is root. The second is not, and I could need that access at some point.
My preference is to get my Xfce desktop back on my original user profile. But, if that is not possible, can I make the second profile a root user and delete the first user?

BTW, when in Recovery Mode, logged in as the first user, I can type "startxfce4" and a generic desktop appears. Without my personal icons, of course. Didn't know if that bit of info would help.

Mate, you ask the BEST questions, seriously :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

... and I am 61 in a few weeks, plenty of 60-plussers here, so you are in good company (of course I am biased) :p

Watching you and @Peer yesterday my time, I had got as far as downloading a Wheezy, but have yet to install. I have over 40 Linux on this Toshiba Satellite, so I am using it for experiments now, as I have a new Dell Inspiron which is currently getting populated with ... Linux!

Your reference to LinuxCNC caught me off, so I Googled it and understand a little now, and I am wondering if this computer and its software is mission-critical. So I did not want to make any assurances that would take too much time for you. I was going to install Wheezy, break the graphics and then look at fixing it, however given your workaround (and nice work), I will take a look at these other issues, and thanks for the details :D

I have only used Jessie and Stretch in the Debian ranks so far.

One of our Members from Britain (so allow for the timeframe), Jas, @JasKinasis , is a "wizard" with Debian, so he may have input, too.

I'll be back if I learn anything.

BTW are you aware that LTS (long term support) for Wheezy was supposed to be ending end of May?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@wixardfromoz,
Thanks for the response,and, I think, the compliments! I am humbled...
I am using Wheezy only because it and LinuxCNC are bundled in the iso file produced by the LinuxCNC community for easy install of LinuxCNC for Linux know nothings like myself. It's the easy way. LinuxCNC will run with other distros, but you have to know what you are doing with Linux to make it work. That ain't me!
If you get my drift in my first post, to me it would seem to be an easy fix for a Linux guru. Maybe I am oversimplifying. IDK. I have found many possible solutions on the web, but none have worked so far. I am just about to try removing the directory /home/user/.config/xfce4/panel/ from the machine, from the command line of the root user. Which is where the desktop disappeared from. Sound logical? If not, let me know. Otherwise wish me luck!
BTW, the LinuxCNC is not mission critical. Using it on a hobby CNC router for "sh*ts and giggles."
(I'm tryin'.....)

Dave

Last edited:
Well, I gave it a try. Didn't work, but didn't mess anything up either. Said "no such directory or file found." Maybe that was a good thing.
Will check out your earlier post.

Staff online

Members online