Lorinda Cherry, American Computer Scientist and Programmer, Dead at 77

D

Deleted member 111282

I was on Wikipedia when I came across her death notice. What I find interesting is she was in this field, and highly respected for her work, at a time where most women would've been in the opposite situation. Because of that, I'm sure she inspired future women to follow in her footsteps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorinda_Cherry

I remember reading about Ms. Cherry in a book by Brian Kernighan. She was indeed a star at Bell Labs.
Bell Labs was noted for its' work in the UNIX OS, including the C Programming language - Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie.
OG TC

The world could use another Bell Labs, except for the reasoning and funding behind it. That whole monopoly thing was bad for business in other ways, but the baby Bells are pretty much back to monopoly status in at least some areas. Still, for better or worse, some great stuff came out of Bell Labs.

The world could use another Bell Labs, except for the reasoning and funding behind it. That whole monopoly thing was bad for business in other ways, but the baby Bells are pretty much back to monopoly status in at least some areas. Still, for better or worse, some great stuff came out of Bell Labs.

My dad used to work for BellSouth before he retired

They were quite the monopoly back in the day. Even your hardware had to come from the phone company - meaning even your handset. Then they were torn down into the Baby Bells (of which Bell South was one) and they've somehow turned back into a darned-near monopoly again (at least localized).

Members online