Looking for suggestions

Finny_Brace

Reaction score
Credits
In my last post that i made, i was a bit quick-triggered at asking about distros, but since then I've had my friend explain a little bit more. I'm still completely out of the loop in terms of what distros do what. All I'm asking for this time is suggestions of distros that are user friendly and easy to pickup. I'm only planning to use Linux on a throw laptop i keep by my bed so i can watch YouTube and talk on discord without sitting in an uncomfortable chair. So user friendly and good for beginners is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

g'day finny and welcome

laptop specs mate - brand model number - we need to know if it is 32-bit, 64-bit, uefi or mbr &c

so specs

i'm out of here for my australian evening but back on deck tomorrow

i run 80 - 90 linux so probably have a good idea

chris turner
wizardfromoz - one-armed for the immediate future :D

g'day finny and welcome

laptop specs mate - brand model number - we need to know if it is 32-bit, 64-bit, uefi or mbr &c

so specs

i'm out of here for my australian evening but back on deck tomorrow

i run 80 - 90 linux so probably have a good idea

chris turner
wizardfromoz - one-armed for the immediate future :D
It's a 64 bit Dell Latitude E5430. sorry about that, it's late here so i'm forgetful. from all the work i used to do on other latitude E5430's at my school i've found that most everything works on these computers, but there could always be that outlier that breaks the norm. If you need any more information i'd be glad to provide, so long as i can find out where it's listed.

For ease of install, maintenance, and use I would recommend staying with some very mainline distros.

Any *buntu, Peppermint, or Mint. I've used Kubuntu for years. At one time that model came with Ubuntu as an option. I don't know how much RAM yours has, but at least 4GB or the maxxed out at 8GB would make for a very stable platform.

as jglen has said above, likewise to what arochester said at the other thread (which i will close soon)

your user manual says, in part on its setup utility contents

Boot List OptionAllows you to change the boot list option.
  • Legacy
  • UEFI

if you can determine that you have the uefi option, that would be good

on a dell, that is usually (at startup)

F2 for the full setup
F12 for the one-time boot order. also has the option to go to full setup

that manual can be found here

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...15a24b-55d1-4e90-8b25-a8a7c09e4d29&lang=en-us

personally, i would look at MX-19

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

everything out of the box you could want

wizard

In my last post that i made, i was a bit quick-triggered at asking about distros, but since then I've had my friend explain a little bit more. I'm still completely out of the loop in terms of what distros do what. All I'm asking for this time is suggestions of distros that are user friendly and easy to pickup. I'm only planning to use Linux on a throw laptop i keep by my bed so i can watch YouTube and talk on discord without sitting in an uncomfortable chair. So user friendly and good for beginners is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

As a user of XP Pro, I found MX Linux to be the easiest to deal with. Check out its video reviews on YouTube to get an idea of what it's like.

Zorin, from reading about best easy crossovers, seems to be a great fit for new users coming from Linux. It looks I'm told like windows 7, which is the closest to Windows 10.

All I'm asking for this time is suggestions of distros that are user friendly and easy to pickup.
Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Linux Lite, PoP!OS, and others.
Without more info to go on, it's really hard to say.

Members online