Looking For an Inexpensive and Recent Phone That Can Run Linux

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

I've been looking for a new phone for a while now, but trying to find one that's reasonably priced is enough of a challenge, and trying to find one that's 1-2 years old and can run Linux is a bigger one (mainly because mobile-based distros aren't widely supported). The closest I've gotten is finding phones that can run Lineage, but because it unfortunately has some proprietary components in it, I don't want my data phoning home to some company's server. While there are forks of Lineage, I haven't seen any that's 100% FOSS, aside from Replicant (which seems like a dying project IMO because of its lack of supported devices which are aging). While I could buy a random phone that came out a few months ago, and have someone help me port something like Ubuntu Touch onto it, I've heard that's a challenge as well. Because of these reasons, I'm looking for suggestions based on this criteria:
  • The cost being between $200 and $400
  • 1-2 years old
  • Can run ungoogled Android or any mobile-based distro
  • Doesn't have any proprietary software
  • Doesn't use any cloud computing (/e/ has a FOSS version of cloud software, but I want my data to only be stored on my phone)
  • If possible, have it run ungoogled Android or Linux out of the box
  • If possible, have no OS preloaded so I can manually flash ungoogled Android or Linux onto it (which hopefully shouldn't be too hard)
Thanks for your input!

My next phone will probably be one of these:

That's as close to FOSS as you're going to get and I think it still needs binary blobs for some of the radio hardware.

My next phone will probably be one of these:

That's as close to FOSS as you're going to get and I think it still needs binary blobs for some of the radio hardware.

While I'm not always one to base my judgments on what other people say, I've heard the PinePhone is a step in the right direction, but the hardware for it is too immature. Would you say it's aged like fine wine?

I can't think of, nor see any, reasons to complain about the hardware it comes with. If you need more than that, maybe the mobile format isn't the right one? It's perfectly adequate for anything I'd do, which is some browsing, some playing of cribbage, answering emails, making phone calls, and sending text messages.

I doubt there are any other phones that come close to being as FOSS as this one, at least not currently.

I can't think of, nor see any, reasons to complain about the hardware it comes with. If you need more than that, maybe the mobile format isn't the right one? It's perfectly adequate for anything I'd do, which is some browsing, some playing of cribbage, answering emails, making phone calls, and sending text messages.

I doubt there are any other phones that come close to being as FOSS as this one, at least not currently.

After checking out the prices and specs on their website, I decided to look up a 2021 review of it, so I can get a better understanding of it. When I saw the actual pictures it took, I realized the camera quality isn't great, but it's fine for what it is (for almost $200, you get what you paid for). While it's plastic build makes me concerned that the plastic is cheap (this is a Hong-Kong phone after all), I can always put it in metal case for protection. Its nice to know I can store up to 2tb of memory (provided I include an SD card), but because the phone won't be something I'll be using for the next 20 years, it's not necessary.

I might get this after I narrow down my choices from what other people recommend.

Librem 5, Fairphone 3, PinePhone, Pro1 X, Volla Phone, Cosmo Communicator, Finney Blockchain Smartphone, Necunos NC_1.
Reviews from this link:

If the above reviews are not enough, maybe you can ask question or search on this forum:

The question is, what kind of "privacy" that you are looking for on a smartphone? All cell phones can be traced, at least by using cell tower triangulation. This resource from the EFF website breaks it down:

Even a Linux phone can also be traced by using cell tower triangulation. It is mentioned in this video. This is a video that I watched a few months ago:

Hmm... My understanding was that only PinePhone remained standing, it's good to see there are more. I'll still likely be buying the PinePhone.

Hmm... My understanding was that only PinePhone remained standing, it's good to see there are more. I'll still likely be buying the PinePhone.
All cell phones can be traced. If you just want more privacy from Google/Android, PinePhone is more than enough. iOS, Harmony OS or flip phone is still OK in my opinion.

Ubuntu Touch can run on several devices look here

All cell phones can be traced.

LOL I know that. I'm not too interested in privacy, I'm mostly just interested in being able to tinker. I also like the company that made 'em. I'm the guy that stays logged in at search engines just to get better results.