looking for advice for distro.

Aythix

Reaction score
Credits
New to linux and wanting to try it. I am not ageist a challenge. i have a test pc with 4 gigs of ram and touch screen. i really do not care about looks. i want something in between that supports my need and runs nice. thank you for your time in advance.

edit: when i mean in between. i want a gui that is decent to nav but will preform great

Hello Aythix, Welcome to the Forum.
I think you should download a few different distros and burn them to USB and run each live for a day or so and see which one fitst the bill. I'm not sure all distros support touch Screen but pretty sure Mint and Ubuntu do. I like Mints Cinnamon Desk top but it's an individual choice. MX-linux-KDE is also a favorite of mine. Good luck in the search.

Last edited:
Not sure how new or old the test pc is but some time generic kernel like on Linux mint debbie 4 do not work on newer computers and some every old computer . Because they using 4.19 kernel.
I am using Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" xfce with right click application menu.it works fine
Here some distros you should test on usb

• Debian 11
  • Linux mint (Ubuntu verison)
  • Mx linux
  • Pop!_OS
  • Oracle Linux
  • Garuda

Some of them have several desktop environments test them all in till you find one you like

Last edited:
@Aythix

welcome to the forums, please quote the make and full model number of your test computer, it may narrow down the recommendations,

• Debian 11
  • Linux mint (Ubuntu verison)
  • Mx linux
  • Pop!_OS
  • Oracle Linux
  • Garuda

Distros/desktop environments live and died based on their community and their maintainers. These distro have large community and many maintainers . Their are also user friendly . you can find most of the information about the distro on the internet to solve preety much any problem. I f they is not a solution yet out their to a common problem someone will make a solution in few hours after problem happens

I just started using Linux and I highly recommend this Linux distro.
My desktop is a 2010 with a dual core processor and 4 gigs of memory.
This Linux distro works good and installed and updated OOTB and runs fast.

I just started using Linux and I highly recommend this Linux distro.
My desktop is a 2010 with a dual core processor and 4 gigs of memory.
This Linux distro works good and installed and updated OOTB and runs fast.

out of date .it was made Sep 8, 2019 now in 2021 it base on Linux Mint 18 "Sarah now linux mint is on 20.2 "Uma"

Last edited:
out of date .it was made Sep 8, 2019 now in 2021 it base on Linux Mint 18 "Sarah now linux mint is on 20.2 "Uma"
It's not based on Linux Mint.

It's not out of date
and it's based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 however after you update the Linux distro it is Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS and and is supported until 2023.

I may have just started using Linux but I know how to read so have a look.

Code:
lxle@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ inxi -S
System:    Host: Dell-OptiPlex-380 Kernel: 4.15.0-159-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
lxle@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not out of date
and it's based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 however after you update the Linux distro it is Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS and and is supported until 2023.

I may have just started using Linux but I know how to read so have a look.

Code:
lxle@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ inxi -S
System:    Host: Dell-OptiPlex-380 Kernel: 4.15.0-159-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
lxle@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$
o good to know it based on lubuntu . the sad thing about the distro you talking about is it lxde desktop environment the maintainer of lxde sayed on youtube he focusing on maintain lxqt now . mainly debian distro

Hi @Aythix , welcome to GNU/Linux and to these forums.

Although I could make my own recomendations, I agree with all the above as al of them are great distributions for any user, and novel users are not an exception there.

Instead, I'd like to give you some food for thought so you can make part of the decision, or at least, narrow your list of distributions to try, attending to how would they work for you.

In this message from a while ago I was reasoning the differences between point release, Long Term Support (LTS) and rolling release distributions. Check that out, as depending on your intended use, you may benefit from either stability (LTS) or cutting-edge versions of the software of your choice (rolling release).

If neither of these are your case, then I'd personally go to a point-release as it is a good balance.

PS -- My current personal choice is Fedora 34, which is a point release and works great.

Mine also.
Easy to install, tons of packages, pretty stable, and as you said "lots of the latest shiny new toys".

But it's not for everyone, some like the stability of an LTS release.

Mine also.
Easy to install, tons of packages, pretty stable, and as you said "lots of the latest shiny new toys".

But it's not for everyone, some like the stability of an LTS release.
With Fedora is that is a technology playground with a stable kernel. If you like the newest things it great and do not mind fixing problems when they happen they can be great. My problem is I do not know enough about one specific distributions. i know a few things about a few different distros not just one. so i havent dived deep into this one

Nicely done @old timer :)

I have been busy the last 2 days and have only logged in while I am installing LXLE, writing this from Seamonkey. I have been using it since version 12.04 (in amongst my stable of 60+ Linux).

I have always had a soft spot for it, and for its LXDE desktop environment, but for the benefit of the OP (that is you, @Aythix :

i want a gui that is decent to nav but will preform great

... its (LXLE's) interface, re GUI, is NOT as easy to navigate as some of the alternatives suggested.

If you want to get an idea on some of the differences between DEs (Desktop Environments), then have a read of an old article which is still relevant in many ways -

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks. :)

I have always had a soft spot for it, and for its LXDE desktop environment, but for the benefit of the OP (that is you, @Aythix :

... its (LXLE's) interface, re GUI, is NOT as easy to navigate as some of the alternatives suggested.

If you want to get an idea on some of the differences between DEs (Desktop Environments), then have a read of an old article which is still relevant in many ways -

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Being it's the only Linux I've used I wouldn't know the differences so I'm going to have a look at the link you posted.

Good day to ya wizardfromoz. :)

If one wants my counter-opinion, I find LXLE to be intuitive and easy to navigate.

Now... I also spent many years using LXLE - so I may just have biased and happy memories. I don't recall much of a learning curve with the GUI. Things were where I expected them to be and generally did the things they said they'd do on the tin.

I suspect we all have different ideas of what's intuitive or not. For example, I can't stand GNOME for very long. I just don't like it. I don't find it intuitive. I don't like the "GNOME way". I don't like it from a usability standpoint. I find it awkward with things pointlessly pushed out of the way.

Good read and says what I've thought about Apple and Microsoft didn't know about Linux back in them days.

My goal is an article every other day for a complete year. I'm past the halfway point.

I'm not sure what I'll do at the end of the year, but I'm enjoying the project so far. I may keep adding more content, but relax the publication schedule. I dunno... We'll see when we get there, I suppose.

Members online

Latest posts