Looking for a low power distro.

W

wii1990

So my grandpa has an older laptop running windows 2000, and with windows and antivirus it kinda runs slow, so i'm wondering if anyone can recommend any versions of linux that's relatively low power to replace it. It's an old IBM ThinkPad 600.
The specs are:
Processor: Intel Pentium II (mobile) 300MHz
Ram: 128MB
HDD: 6GB
and a switchable cd drive/ dvd drive / 3 1/2 floppy drive.

Thank you for the advice. Think i'll try out Tiny Core Linux.

When I read low power, I did it literally, so the first distro that came across my mind was wattOS. I tested it for a while... I guess it's also good for your purposes, since it's pretty lightweight :)

So my grandpa has an older laptop . . . recommend any versions of linux that's relatively low power to replace it. It's an old IBM ThinkPad 600.
The specs are:
Processor: Intel Pentium II (mobile) 300MHz
Ram: 128MB
HDD: 6GB
Absolute and Tiny Core are the only ones I would want to try for your application.
Unless, of course you are kinda geeky.
Welcome and keep up the good work!

@ryanvade -- but DSL (Damn Small Linux) has a swear word in it! How could you?! LOL

BTW -- thanks for the thanks!

Wattos microwatt edition may work for you. Less than 60MB RAM usage when idle. Plus, you can easily install even lighter WMs and DEs, remove wallpapers, and prevent unecessary processes from starting up, freeing some more ram.

qUrA9xg.png

Puppy has never treated me badly. Highly recommend it. Check out the profile pic... :)

Members online