Looking for a Linux distribution that can run my lightweight system

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Looking for a Linux distribution that can run my lightweight system. Here are my hardware specs:
MB: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 OC
RAM: G.Skill Aegis F4-3200C16D-64GIS
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Advice would be a appreciated since I don't want my system to run slow since I don't have that many resources to spare. Lastly I have one question, is it safe to run a lightweight distribution on my system, I don't want my hardware to break?

Last edited:

I think you need something a little more powerful to run Linux :)
Will I be able to code on my system so I can become a DevOps Engineer, I really want to earn a lot of money?

LOL You're probably looking for antiX!

how about Puppy?.....those bits and pieces would almost run it.......I am sure @MikeWalsh would willingly coach you so that your dream of preserving your system is met.....

There is a fluxbox version of MXLinux. Haven't tried personally though.

Antix and Puppy.
But still you may want to run them without installing any DEs since your computer has very par level hardware.

So how come everyone else got the joke and I had to read about 3 posts before the penny dropped.

Maarten if you do this again, you won't live to Christmas. :)

Dumbass Wizard

So how come everyone else got the joke and I had to read about 3 posts before the penny dropped.

Dumbass Wizard
I wouldn't have caught onto it if i wasn't accustomed to his joking in the scripting thread first...

Anti-X is pretty light.
I looked for your exact RAM and couldn't find it-
How old is your rig?
My rig is about two years old. Are you sure my rig will be able to run Anti-X it only has 64G of ram?

There is a fluxbox version of MXLinux. Haven't tried personally though.
Are you sure my system will be able to run the MXLinux version of Fluxbox, will it be safe to run that combination on my system?

Antix and Puppy.
But still you may want to run them without installing any DEs since your computer has very par level hardware.
Will it be save to run Puppy on my system, I don't want it to start going crazy running around the house when Puppy boots and sees my cat.

how about Puppy?.....those bits and pieces would almost run it.......I am sure @MikeWalsh would willingly coach you so that your dream of preserving your system is met.....
How do I configure Puppy to not go running around the house chasing after my cat after having booted Puppy up?

Dumbass Wizard
Is Christmas a new Linux distribution, I've never heard of it before? Did you mention it because it is a lightweight Linux distribution?

Had me there for a second, i was rather confused.
How do I install Linux confused on my system, it sounds like a good Linux distribution for my system?

I wouldn't have caught onto it if i wasn't accustomed to his joking in the scripting thread first...
Will I be able to run bash scripts when running Confused Linux on my system?

You keep on booting puppy....the animal welfare league will be after you !!

Members online