Loading Linux Ubuntu

FLSTC2009

Reaction score
Credits
I downloaded "ubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64" onto a USB thumb drive, then viewed the thumb drive and ensured the ISO image was present. I entered BIOS and changed the boot sequence so Floppy/CD was the first boot option. I then restarted the computer with the thumb drive inserted. The computer restarts into the hard drive and doesn't appear to see the thumb drive. I've tried this on my Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop and my HP Pavilion Desktop computers with the same results. I tried disabling the Secure Boot option and the enabling the Legacy support option, again with the same results. I then purchased a Linux Ubuntu CD and tried loading it on my desktop, again making sure the Floppy/CD was the first boot option. The computer still doesn't see the CD and starts into the hard drive. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
FLSTC2009

Generally by tapping the F12 at startup to gain access to the boot menu and then select your USB - also setting it to Floppy/CD should not be the first boot device since you are using a USB Stick I would leave that as hard disk first and just use the F12 key option for one time boot - you need to leave the ISO in the download folder and use Etcher to write it to a USB Stick first - https://www.balena.io/etcher/ then follow the above instructions

You have to "write" the .iso to the USB drive. You don't just copy the .iso onto the drive, it needs to be written in a special way because it's a disk image. You use a tool like 'Balena Etcher' to write it.

You have to "write" the .iso to the USB drive. You don't just copy the .iso onto the drive, it needs to be written in a special way because it's a disk image. You use a tool like 'Balena Etcher' to write it.

I actually wrote the ISO image using Rufus.

I'd still eliminate that as a possibility and use Etcher, as experience says Etcher tends to work better.

Generally by tapping the F12 at startup to gain access to the boot menu and then select your USB - also setting it to Floppy/CD should not be the first boot device since you are using a USB Stick I would leave that as hard disk first and just use the F12 key option for one time boot - you need to leave the ISO in the download folder and use Etcher to write it to a USB Stick first - https://www.balena.io/etcher/ then follow the above instructions
Thank you, this worked perfectly!!!

Staff online

Members online