LMDE Fresh Install Can't Use Sudo SOLVED

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
The fresh install of LMDE 4 Debbie went well and is running great on my sony vaio.

For some reason I can not run sudo......I get permission denied and I'm using the password I used during the installation.

I'm trying to get the backlight working on my laptop and I can't run it. Here's a screenshot of what's going on.

I looked in Synaptic and sudo is installed.
How can I get sudo to work properly?

Screenshot from 2020-04-12 12-21-56.png

Last edited:

Couple things come to mind:
1. It's been a while since I have run Debian but they used to have a password for the 'User' and a separate password for 'Root'.
2. Have you tried "sudo su" ?
3. Years ago you had to add yourself to various "Groups" in Debian to be able to use stuff. Are you a 'member' of the "sudoers" group?

Couple things come to mind:
1. It's been a while since I have run Debian but they used to have a password for the 'User' and a separate password for 'Root'.
2. Have you tried "sudo su" ?
3. Years ago you had to add yourself to various "Groups" in Debian to be able to use stuff. Are you a 'member' of the "sudoers" group?
Yeah, I tried sudo su and it asks for the root password.

This makes it very difficult as I can't look at the etc/shadow file either. I'm not a member of sudoers group because the root is disabled and I can't access no matter what I try. So........

I've decided to perform a fresh installation of Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon.

The fresh installation of Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon looks great on this Sony Viao and the backlight works when I run the cmd as root.;)

The fresh installation of Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon looks great on this Sony Viao and the backlight works when I run the cmd as root.;)
So "sudo" works now?
During the install does the installer ask what groups to be a member of?

So "sudo" works now?
During the install does the installer ask what groups to be a member of?
No, during the Debian 10 install it did not ask what groups to be a member of:-

Members online