LMDE 4 Xiphos Drop Down Menu Not Scrolling SOLVED

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I'm running LMDE 4 Cinnamon on an custom built 64-bit desktop.

When launching Xiphos the program opens and runs but when it it time to scroll past a certain amount of books in the drop down menu the names of the books and the menu won't scroll.

I checked to see what version of gtk is on the system.
:~$ dpkg -s libgtk-3-0|grep '^Version'
Version: 3.24.5-1

I also found out from reading lots of articles online that 3.24.3-1 doesn't have this problem but that 3.24.4-1 does.

I read this article that suggest that it's a gtk issue not an issue with Xiphos.

Do I need to downgrade gtk?
If so, will downgrading gtk effect the system thus making other things not work properly?

How can I get the drop down menu to work properly?

Last edited:

A quote from your referenced link says,
a little googling tells me that this really is a gtk error, as seen in some distributions. some reports of this are quite old, some are relatively new, though none are really recent. this suggests to me that bugs have been fixed recently in gtk.
closing this, because it really isn't xiphos' problem, it's the toolkit's, to compute max viewable size and pack scroll arrows at top and bottom as needed. presumably as newer, fixed versions percolate out, users will stop seeing this.
I believe I ran into a similar problem, years ago, myserlf. My suggesion would be unpopular, though.

LMDE is not what it says. I was NOT impressed by it and the devs seem uninterested in solving simple problems for it., IME. Change distros away from anything 'buntu and go true Debian. Then see if Xiphos works as desired.

Or, you can try changing the config files related to this problem withing gtk, itself.

I'd opt for changing distros if xiphos is worth it to the User.

Which strings would I change in the gtk config files and what would I change them to?

Don't ask me, I'm just a mechanic!
Why not expand into Slackware? As I see Xiphos is available here, and I bet it works as it should.

Don't ask me, I'm just a mechanic!
Why not expand into Slackware? As I see Xiphos is available here, and I bet it works as it should.
After running Slackware for 9 years I don't want to run it anymore. It's a beast to run-
Xiphos runs great in Slackware but 7-9 packages have to be manually installed first before installing Xiphos.

I'm done with distros that don't do dependency resolution:-

I think I'll just look for another distro at Distrowatch and start fresh.

Thanks
Alex

After running Slackware for 9 years I don't want to run it anymore. It's a beast to run-
Xiphos runs great in Slackware but 7-9 packages have to be manually installed first before installing Xiphos.

I think I'll just look for another distro at Distrowatch and start fresh.

Thanks
Alex
Sometimes you want to run a Distro that "just works" - without all the 'tinkering'. :)
That's why I keep a spare old box around just for playing, experimenting, and testing.

Sometimes you want to run a Distro that "just works" - without all the 'tinkering'. :)
That's why I keep a spare old box around just for playing, experimenting, and testing.
Roger that!- :)

To tell the truth, I kinda have a love/hate relationship with Slackware, myself.
That's probably why I'm back to antiX 19.1 at present. So . . .

+2 on a distro that "just works," although debian can be a pain at time, too!

i don't have any problems with slackware (at the moment) it was solid as a rock when i was in Africa and power went off without warning 3-4 times a day, maybe thats why i'm quite familiar with fsck, but it depends on your approach to using it - i use the gino d'acampo approach

recently @70 Tango Charlie mentioned a site where you can get some books free but they are in .epub format . After some checking i found calibre would do the conversion so now I need to see if i can get it (using slpkg) :

bash-5.0# slpkg -F calibre

Packages with name matching [ calibre ]

+==============================================================================
| Repository Package Size
+==============================================================================
sbo calibre-bin-4.9.1 0 K
sbo calibre-3.34.0 0 K
alien calibre-4.7.0-x86_64-1alien.txz 115608 K
alien calibre2-2.85.1-x86_64-1alien.txz 44668 K

Found summary
===============================================================================
Total found 4 packages in 2 repositories.

bash-5.0#
there's a few alternatives don't be phased by sbo with 0 k since it downloads then builds. but lets have a look alien is 115Mb , but lets see the deps :
ash-5.0# slpkg -t alien calibre
Resolving dependencies... Done

+===============================
| Package calibre dependencies :
+===============================
\
+---[ Tree of dependencies ]
|
+--1: No dependencies

ok its 115Mb and Alien Bob has packed everything it needs; now lets look at
getting via sbo:

see image

probably common sense says, just go for alien. By the way if i went for sbo it would install deps as well, so are you sure you guys are using Slackware ?

Attachments

• calibre.jpg
    calibre.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 325

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts