LMDE 3 (Cindy)

• Thread starter Deleted member 58530
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58530

Hello Everyone,

I just installed LMDE 3 (Cindy) and the install went without any problems although a user needs to know how to partition a hard drive which is easy enough to learn.

LMDE 3 (Cindy) installed / updated and works OOTB without problems on my 8 year old Dell Optiplex 380 listed in the spoiler.

This Linux Distro is definitely worth taking a look at imo.
Code:
thomas@cindy:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: cindy Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.11-1)
           Distro: LMDE 3 (cindy)
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 BIOS: Dell v: A02 date: 08/27/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11704
           clock speeds: max: 2933 MHz 1: 2133 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-8-amd64
Network:   Card: Broadcom Limited NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (4.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54161 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 106G used: 5.5G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 160 Uptime: 48 min Memory: 1087.8/3855.2MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.5
thomas@cindy:~$

https://betanews.com/2018/08/31/linux-mint-debian-lmde3-cindy/

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3633

https://linuxmint.com/rel_cindy.php

https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

The only difference I can see is the user interface which is Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Debian under the hood which is rock solid from my experience.

Software packages are all Debian I guess and usually not the latest which isn't bad imo.

I don't know much about LMDE as I just kinda downloaded it and installed it to see what it was about.

I know users who swear by LMDE and I like Debian.

It's the best of both worlds Debian built and Linux Mint Cinnamon GUI which is a damn good combination imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know users who swear by LMDE and I like Debian.

Ditto :D

I have had it in my stable for over 3 years (LMDE 2 'Betsy').

Differences from Debian?

Update Manager, as with the other flavours of Mint, provides for two (2) servers – one for Mint, one for Debian/Ubuntu, and you are given the choice to upgrade to a faster Mirror.

The default (at least in Australia) - with the others – is for USA for the Mint, and UK for the Ubuntu.

In the case of LMDE, it is still USA for the Mint side, but varies with Debian servers for the … Debian? Might have been “Server for Australia”, I forget.

In my screenshot, you can see that there is a good argument for choosing the fastest Mirror, 3 times the speed in my case, for going local/fastest.

4HYco8n.png

SCREENSHOT 1

With my Debian choices, UK does not feature, but there are plenty of Debian choices in Servers in Australia

kkX0jrE.png

SCREENSHOT 2

Download speeds with the latter can be 66% faster, for me, by “shopping locally”. :)

With the ultimate speeds achieved, these are right up to the maximum of the ADSL 2+ connection I receive from my Telco. Very satisfying.

BbPaFbY.png

SCREENSHOT 3

Unlike Debian itself, the Root account is locked by default, but a password for same can be established, as per the Release Notes friend @poorguy has referenced.

There are likely other differences, just can't put my finger on them at the moment.

Friday here in Oz, so all of you

Avagudweegend

Chris

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts