Living in a Surveillance State

S

slashedzero

Anybody see the recent TEDx talk, Mikko Hypponen's "Living in a Surveillance State" ? I thought it was a pretty good "this is where we stand" piece for internet privacy. He has many good points and I do agree with him that it is the end of European trust in American web services.

We're already mostly linux nerds, bucking the trend of using shitty proprietary Microsoft products (and not so shitty but still shittily proprietary Apple products). Has anyone moved away from the big web services?

I still use G+, gmail, hotmail, and Amazon. Still have a copy of Windows 7 for gaming...

You are fooling yourself in thinking it is only the US web services.

This is done by every major country in the World, just easier for smaller countries now.

You are fooling yourself in thinking it is only the US web services.

This is done by every major country in the World, just easier for smaller countries now.

Oh, I'm not purporting a system in which some OTHER government snoops. I talk about US web services because they're the biggest. What I'm really interested is if people have started hosting services themselves or looked at alternative infrastructures.

Well, most of the major. usable web services (email, IM etc.) are probably monitored 24/7 by
the governments. We can't do much about it.
And thats a good video about privacy.

Going slightly off topic, Apple is more shittier than Microsoft imho. "Shitty proprietary Microsoft products" are actually good for gaming. They're still shitty. :p

Going slightly off topic, Apple is more shittier than Microsoft imho. "Shitty proprietary Microsoft products" are actually good for gaming. They're still shitty. :p

Microsoft is only good for gaming because it had a virtual monopoly and game companies developed for a system to maximize market share. If a unix based system had been adopted as the status quo OS, I'm sure gaming would've been similarly good for it.

I think if you have to use the major services, use encryption. Even if they can break the crypto, at least make their job harder and let it seem normal to use crypto for non-incriminating things.

Members online

Latest posts