Live disc

Barkas

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I have a pc running windows 7, I don't want to go on to 10 so I am hoping to install Mint, I bought a Linux magazine recently and it had a live disc attached, can I install Mint direct from the live disc , I can see there is a prompt to install it once you get to the home screen. thanks for any help

Welcome to Linux.org

If win 7 is behaving badly, and you just want it gone...completely then click the 'Install' icon on the desktop and you will soon be running whichever Linux is on that disc. WIN 7 WILL BE GONE>>>FOREVER

OR
if you wish to retain win 7, and 'dual boot' it with Linux......then continue reading the links above which Wiz put there for your reading and listening pleasure !!

OR
If you are a trifle uncertain...you can always save win 7 to an external hard drive via Macrium Reflect or similar.....and just keep it handy. I did that....and the hard drive is a source of some morth for my wife..."Are you EVER going to use that !!!???).........(No...I am not )

Many people here blew windows away completely many years ago....Some insist in dual booting linux with windows....probably because there is a program etc that will ONLY run on windows.

If you use your PC as the majority do...news, weather, facebook, banking, music, pictures, writing the odd letter/document, etc...then Linux is the go.

Combine it with Timeshift (more about that later), and you have a virtually unbreakable system.

.....and speaking of VIRTUAL.....there is such an animal as a VM (virtual machine). Easy to install and set up with whichever windows you want......the windows os (operating system) live within a closed environment on your pc....it still has internet access etc and can be used near to as normal....usually for something that just cant be achieved on Linux

Members online