list of the basics?

potatis

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys.

I cant say that I have alot of experience with linux, if any, even tho i have used linux for a while now for coding.

I am of course very interested in learning linux so I wonder if you guys could list the absolutely basic things one should be able to do on linux?

My brain is pretty empty at the moment and all I can come up with is

- How is the file system built? where is the standard folder for softwares etc.
- How do I install software with different file extensions?
- How do I uninstall software?
- How do I keep my OS up-to-date?
- How do I handle the terminal (ie cd, ls etc.)

I dont know if there already is such a "list" that can be found on this forum or anywhere else?

- How is the file system built? where is the standard folder for softwares etc. - Filesystem is Unix based, Ext4 format (should be your choice)
- How do I install software with different file extensions? - in Linux you don't have file extensions to worry about. Unless you need something special, the majority of your software comes from the official repositories (app stores).
- How do I uninstall software? Depends on the distro you choose. - The majority have a software repository system to easily choose what you want to install and just as easily choose to uninstall it.
- How do I keep my OS up-to-date? - Depends on the distro you choose, most have an app running that informs you when updates are available, but if not, you easily do it from Terminal.
- How do I handle the terminal (ie cd, ls etc.) - Terminal commands are the same in Linux as Unix. Get a CLI cheat sheet and learn the commands. You can do internet searches to find them. This is the first one that popped up for me https://www.cheatography.com/davechild/cheat-sheets/linux-command-line/.

Members online

Latest posts