linux wont run

Reaction score
Credits
hi, im a windows 10 user but i wanted to give linux another chance so i installed it on another partition (linux mint).... in bios i have it set to legacy mode but when i boot the pc it goes to a blinking cursor..... what gives ?

Please give us some more information to go on. What type of Machine, ram Graphics card ETC.
Which version of Mint?

nevermind i kinda fixed it.... to boot to windows i go to bios and switch to uefi... to boot to linux i switch to legacy..... kinda tiresome

pc ps a lenovo m91p... intel i7, no graphics card..... 12gb of ram... linux mint uma i think

Hi,did you use a USB Stick with Install Mint?
In any cases/devices you have to enable and disable boot secure in BIOS?
But this can bei different.

No reason you'd use legacy these days. Most, if not all, distros are UEFI (well, mainstream ones). That includes mint. If you set the BIOS to UEFI boot, just install Mint (latest version) as per normal. It will install GRUB, too. That'll auto-detect every OS and when you boot, it'll boot straight into GRUB where you can choose to boot Mint or Windows. Nothing complex.

if bios is in legacy, it goes straight to linux mint....if bios is in uefi... it goes straight to windows 10
no grub
and yes i installed through USB

You should use the same for both windows and Linux Mint. UEFI will work in both. But you will have to set bios to UEFI and reinstall Mint You should disable secure boot however as that can cause other problems in Mint. So reset your system to UEFI and reboot Mint from Live media and do a fresh install Making sure you do not erase your windows partitions. And grub will be install in the UEFI and you'll beable to boot to either windows or mint from their. Good luck.

I wonder if you installed Mint with grub legacy MBR mode and not to efi ?

Actually i think we may be able to confirm that , if you install efibootmgr and use command something like efibootmgr -v if Mint was installed to efi , then efibootmgr should show an entry for it.

But the real question @corporal_Canada is : do i stand to attention to you , or you stand to attention to me ? if its me "stand at ease !"

if bios is in legacy, it goes straight to linux mint....if bios is in uefi... it goes straight to windows 10
no grub
and yes i installed through USB
Don't put it in legacy. Keep it in UEFI, install (reinstall) Mint and use the default settings. That's the sum total of what to do.

Blinking cursor after the system has booted is usually a sign of a problem with the video driver or firmware causing the system not being able to load anything graphical.

@corpral_canad
Please tel us the Make Model and full model number of your machine
IF its a home build then the make/model of the motherboard/graphics/sound/ & other main components you used

If you can boot it then please run in a terminal inxi -Fnxz [inxi space -fnxz] copy and paste here...this should tell us all we need to know at this stage

Bwiz

@corpral_canad
Please tel us the Make Model and full model number of your machine
IF its a home build then the make/model of the motherboard/graphics/sound/ & other main components you used

If you can boot it then please run in a terminal inxi -Fnxz [inxi space -fnxz] copy and paste here...this should tell us all we need to know at this stage

Bwiz
the pc is essentially a stock lenovo m91p
except for an additional 250gb ssd
additional 250gb hd
an antec 500watt psu that i installed this morning
thats it

I wonder if you installed Mint with grub legacy MBR mode and not to efi ?

Actually i think we may be able to confirm that , if you install efibootmgr and use command something like efibootmgr -v if Mint was installed to efi , then efibootmgr should show an entry for it.

But the real question @corporal_Canada is : do i stand to attention to you , or you stand to attention to me ? if its me "stand at ease !"
i installed mint in uefi and (cursor)....
as for saluting... i dont salute muricans sorry

I have taken a quick look at the original Spc, nothing much is jumping out at me except depending on country and variant you have either
  • ATI Radeon HD5450
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX380 (DVI + DP)
on board graphics if its the HD5450 you may need the legacy drivers in the repository [sorry I don't have the full list of ATI cards & drivers

open a terminal and type in inxi -G [inxi [space]-G and enter , the report will tell us what card and drivers are installed copy and past the results back here

Bwiz

just finished installing ubuntu 20.04 i think (in uefi)... and when it had to restart.... it went straight to windows

I have taken a quick look at the original Spc, nothing much is jumping out at me except depending on country and variant you have either
  • ATI Radeon HD5450
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX380 (DVI + DP)
on board graphics if its the HD5450 you may need the legacy drivers in the repository [sorry I don't have the full list of ATI cards & drivers

open a terminal and type in inxi -G [inxi [space]-G and enter , the report will tell us what card and drivers are installed copy and past the results back here

Bwiz
no video card im afraid... and i didnt get a chance to put in your command before the ubuntu install ended

Some BIOS cannot disable secure boot unless you change it to Legacy my Acer is like this which sux - secure boot and UEFI are bundled

Had a look at that machine's specs. It's quite old. Yep, chances are Ubuntu and derivs are not recognised as "trusted". See for years most mainstream OSes are recognized and trusted, but your machine is running crap firmware. You might get Ubuntu/Mint/etc. support by updating your UEFI BIOS but no guarantees:
Official Lenovo download + instructions. Let us know how it goes.
https://support.lenovo.com/za/en/do...ate-thinkcentre-m81-m91-m91p-thinkstation-e30

ive been trying to update the bios since i got this pc so i can install my Radeon, but it isnt like dell (1 exe and boom done) this exe needs a command as shown in the image
Untitled.jpg

Members online