Linux with no software

Read yourself how to log in as root, what are repositories, installing programs and you will do it.
I did it after two weeks.
Commands rewrite and give enter.
See on VirtualBox first.

Last edited:

I actually have 2 of them one desktop and the other an SFF style, got them pretty cheap as refurb... Also, I am using the legacy option. I'm only using a SSD 120gb drive. So I have no need for UEFI.
Legacy makes most things easier for Linux, but UEFI has many useful properties too (or the world would not have switched to it). If you decide to pursue putting Slax on the SSD, there is another thing that is necessary... the drive should be setup with a MBR (MSDOS) partition table and not GPT. It's a crapshoot which one your drive is set for. But Slax will likely not work with GPT at all. (GPT = GUID Partition Table)

Too much geek stuff, maybe. But if you could not get Slax to work on your drive, you might be scratching your head as to why. This restriction actually applies to USB flash drives too, but those are most often already setup with MBR partition tables. (Not mine... most of mine are GPT, so I had this problem yesterday! o_O:eek::D D'oh!)

Debian Minimal KDE:
You take Debian DVD_1 During installation in the tasksel window regarding the selection of installed tasks I do not choose anything but "basic system tools".
You want me to take Debian DVD_1 During installation, okay, but where do i get it from? and put it in tasksel window, what is tasksel window and where would I find it?

Debian_10 DVD_1:
A window will appear during the installation, Software Selection, you uncheck only (space) Standard System Utilities. 2:40 minutes movie:
You go to the end of the installation, you pull out the DVD restart.
In the console you are ligating as root:
Code:
su
enter
Your root password.
enter
You carry out commands.
and reboot
Regular username password you are in the system.

Linux is a kernel written by Linus Tornvals + a gcc compiler written by Richard Stalman + installed programs. In Debian you can still do the installation as it used to be. You install the Kernel and create your own system for yourself.

Last edited:
Perhaps this may be of interest.

@YeahRight

I just installed this and after install there is some command terminal involved in setting it up.

I'd recommend holding off on even testing it until you have more Linux experience.

It has been quite awhile that I had installed and used this and had forgotten. :oops:

@YeahRight

Don't try to learn to much to fast and become frustrated and discouraged. :(:confused:o_O:mad:

You have Linux Mint installed and working so learn about Linux while using Linux Mint. :)

@YeahRight

Don't try to learn to much to fast and become frustrated and discouraged. :(:confused:o_O:mad:

You have Linux Mint installed and working so learn about Linux while using Linux Mint. :)
Tom is totally correct here. Mint is one of the very best distros for new users... try to work with it as you get used to the differences that Linux brings.

Cheers

@YeahRight

I just installed this and after install there is some command terminal involved in setting it up.

I'd recommend holding off on even testing it until you have more Linux experience.

It has been quite awhile that I had installed and used this and had forgotten. :oops:
Not only that but it talks about Torrent which I have never done before.

Tom is totally correct here. Mint is one of the very best distros for new users... try to work with it as you get used to the differences that Linux brings.

Cheers
I like the Mint but my only issue is the clock, though it's not a big issue, get it lol. I see Linux mint has many programs preinstalled which I will never use wouldn't it be best to uninstall them?

wouldn't it be best to uninstall them?
Best? I don't know.... it might be for you, from things you have previously said. Things you uninstall will no longer need updates, and maybe that's a plus. But Linux updates are far smaller and faster than Windows, so keeping up to date is not such a burden.

You want to be careful not to cripple your system though. Even though you don't care for the terminal, I would strongly suggest that you keep that. But most things you see in your menus are probably safe to uninstall. This is another good time to remind you about Timeshift though! Making a snapshot before you start carving up your system might save your butt later. :eek::D

Hopefully the clock problem will be solved in the other thread now.... if I didn't forget something.

Cheers

Ubuntu Studio 19.04

FWIW.

Most all Linux Distros come with what I consider unnecessary useless programs which are installed by default at the time of install that I'll never use.

That being the case instead of uninstalling them just ignore them and don't bother trying to remove them because you will always have leftover dependencies that may or may not be shared or needed for other installed programs.

Most Linux Distros with all of the updates and other software that is added how much space on your hard drive can they take 10 GB maybe 15 GB.

Hell I've ran Linux Distros on computers with a 20 GB hard drives and 40 GB hard drives for years and never ran out of space and never will.

Linux pretty much takes care of itself as far as hard drive maintenance and all I ever have to clean / remove from my Linux computers is browser history and thumbnail cache.

Until you gain some Linux experience use the mainstream Linux Distros as they are well maintained / secure and offer the best support.

The perfect Linux Distro doesn't exist however there is Linux From Scratch.

Linux From Scratch isn't for the new Linux user and command terminal is a must and you must be willing to jump in and get your hands dirty.

Linux From Scratch.

I'm going to keep the Terminal but I'm talking about like the packages under the following Graphics, Internet, I just need Chromium, Office, Universal Access and maybe a few under Accessories

Has someone got you to enable your firewall yet??? It is turned OFF by default. You can turn it ON with a GUI, but the easy way is CTRL-ALT-T to open an terminal, then give: sudo ufw enable. And done.

Has someone got you to enable your firewall yet??? It is turned OFF by default. You can turn it ON with a GUI, but the easy way is CTRL-ALT-T to open an terminal, then give: sudo ufw enable. And done.
I was thinking about whether if I wanted to use it. I wouldn't have any personal stuff on it. basically if a hacker were to hack this system there nothing there but maybe know what my ip address is, what do you think?

You always want to enable your firewall. It baffles me why it is not ON by default, but oh well.

You don't want to become part of some botnet, or anything like that.

True enough probably they figure most advanced users will do it anyways and newbies like myself will probably reinstall the OS a few times before they get it to their liken

Reinstalling is really very good practice, if you don't mind it. Install different versions so you see some of the variations in the installers. You can do the "use entire disk" method, which is easier, but you can progress into the "do something else" method where you have to setup your partitions manually. But wait a bit! Get your feet wet first so that you enjoy it.... and don't pay much attention to me. I'm kind of old-school and do a lot of things the hard way. :eek::D

Staff online

Members online